16th century, listed manor house 70 km (44 miles) from Paris in Upper Normandy
This property dominates the countryside of a small commune with about 300 inhabitants in the French department of Eure. The nearest village 2 km (1.25 miles) away has small local shops.
The nearest town with a French SNCF train station is 15 km (9 miles) away. The N14 and N15 lead to the French capital, 75 km (47 miles) away.
The main road running through the village provides access to its vast square courtyard. The manor house stands on the left-hand side and overlooks the large outbuildings in front, to its left and to its right. Countryside stretches out behind these buildings.
The outbuildings comprise five vast stone farm buildings that span 2 stories and were previously used as stables, a cowshed, a sheepfold, a wine-press and for storing carriages. One part could be restored for use as a house. The grounds, divided into gardens and meadows for animals, span approx. 3,5 ha (8,6 acre). There is a walled vegetable garden behind the manor house.
The manor house
Dating from 1542, this Seigneurial manor house was built during the second half of the reign of François 1st in the latter third of the 16th century, and was granted French historic monument classification in 1933. The church adjoining the manor house was sold and then demolished in 1886.The dwelling, built of fossiliferous limestone, features windows framed with Vernon stone. This rectangular building is flanked at the ends of its west-facing facade by two towers. One, topped with a candle-snuffer roof, was levelled off and only comes up to the first floor. The other with corbelling is smaller and has an identical roof. The roofs are of slate.
Mullioned windows, pediments, lozenges, capping pieces, delicate moulding, small crenelles and escutcheons; such are the features that decorate the façade, proving its origin and recounting the history of the site.The pilasters that frame all the windows have fortunately not been affected by redesigning works. They stand on the ground on small bases and are decorated with lozenges and capping pieces. A few steps lead up to the main drop arch entrance door which is topped with two small oculi above a triangular pediment.
The builder’s decorative efforts are revealed in the regular layout of the pilasters, intersected by a string course half-way up the facade, through to the dentil course and the delicate moulding of the turrets’ corbelling. It is also to be found in the top of the chimney stack, adorned with small crenelles and in the decorative slope of one of the gable walls.
Astonishing barrel arch and cross-rib vaulted cellars featuring powerful piers are proof of a previous construction on this site.
The insides are also of great interest. Their southern section has been subject to works which, although not in character with the building, have provided some home comforts. Numerous decorative elements have, however, been preserved. The main entrance leads into a vestibule which has predominantly kept its decoration. There is semi-circular arcading supported by capitals. One of its doors is adorned with coats-of arms, probably those of the owner who had the residence built.One section which also harbours some outstanding features awaits restoration. The residence spans approx. 500 m² (5,382 sq ft) of which 200 m² (2,153 sq ft) is restored and can be lived in.
Ground floor: an entrance hall with a Vernon stone floor and a guard’s bench, a reception room with a stone fireplace and floor, a study in a turret, a lounge with a suspended fireplace and with terracotta floor tiles in these two rooms, a vast kitchen with a tiled floor and a door leading outside to the rear of the manor house, a wash-house, a shower room and a toilet. The ceilings of the reception rooms feature exposed beams. Topped with an original bas relief, a condemned spiral stairway, still in its original condition, leads to 13th century cellars.
1st floor: five bedrooms including one with a fireplace, a bathroom, a landing room and a toilet. The floors are covered with oak parquet flooring.
The partly walled-up basement contains three 13th century vaulted cellars.
The other part of the manor house awaiting full restoration includes a large split-level room, an attic awaiting complete restoration and a barrel stairway; the keystones of cross-rib vault bays have an escutcheon within a medallion. Recesses with shells frame two small windows which illuminate the stairway.
The manor house, long since a farm building, is a significant part of the regional heritage. The architectural features and the surface area of the buildings make numerous projects possible. Projects that are ambitious, it is true, but as part of the property can be lived in, time is the only “project manager”.
1 378 000 €
Our fees are included in the stated sale price.
|Land registry surface area||8,6 acre|
|Main building surface area||5,4ft²|
|Outbuilding surface area||16,15ft²|
Marie Merien       +33 (0)6 08 80 21 01
NB: The above information is not only the result of our visit to the property; it is also based on information provided by the current owner. It is by no means comprehensive or strictly accurate especially where surface areas and construction dates are concerned. We cannot, therefore, be held liable for any misrepresentation.