castles / chateaux for sale in france near soissons

In Picardy, less than two hours from Paris, near to Soissons,
a residential chateau in 20 hectares of parklands
Soissons, AISNE picardy 02200 FR

Location

This is a region which has paid dearly for its various invasions, especially following the First World War. The influence of the fortified castle of Coucy, an impregnable fortress built as of the 13th century with the tallest keep ever constructed in the West, but no longer in existence, can still be felt throughout the region. And yet, the countryside is extremely beautiful with its dense forests, its copses and its fertile farmland planted with wheat, peas and vegetables.
It is in this region of Picardy, just 2 hours from Paris, at the bottom of a valley, where the borders of the French departments of Oise and Aisne meet, that this elegant chateau is concealed, out of sight of the village.

Description

A first Renaissance style chateau was constructed in 1520. This was modified and preserved up until the French Revolution. In 1815, allied troops opposing Napoleon 1st not only occupied, but also damaged it. Hence, when it was sold in 1860, the new owner decided to demolish it and build another residence on the same site. This Napoleon III style chateau did not have the distinction and elegance of the old one. But it was not there for very long as it was destroyed by the Germans in 1917.
The owner at that time, nevertheless, decided to rebuild it. This was therefore a “reconstructed chateau” as all those ruined by German troops but which, like the phoenix, rose up once again in the 1920’s were known. This iron will can be explained by the era’s patriotic spirit and also by the imperial need to be reunited with the roots of their families that lived in these chateaux. Many are still lived in by the same families today.
Works did not begin until the middle of the 1930’s, some fifteen years after the war. But in 1940, the almost finished chateau was once again occupied by the Germans who reduced it to ruins. More construction works had therefore to be carried out and completed after the war.
This worksite was fuelled by a bright idea: a new site for the building. At the end of the parklands with an unobstructed view over the surrounding countryside, the chateau no longer stands in the shadow of the village church but looks out over open space.
This property is laid out around its chateau with landscaped gardens composed of vast lawns, surrounded by trees over a hundred years old. Once through the large gates, a long drive comes to an end in front of the building.
The architectural choice was very different for this 19th century chateau as it was decided to construct a chateau using brick and stone and to revert to the classical architectural style of the Louis XVI era with the leitmotif of making light omnipresent!

The chateau

On the courtyard side
The classical appearance is immediately obvious, with a central building, flanked by two wings set at right angles. The chateau’s hip roof, with valleys, is covered with slate.
Two bull’s eye windows are set in the roof of the wings whilst an acroterion, topped with a curved stone pediment, takes pride of place.
Three stone bays succeed one another on the central building with an entrance door in line with the top of the porch.
On the terrace and garden side.
A rectilinear facade with six bays features a central stone section and brick sides. The large windows on the ground floor have semi-circular arches; those on the first floor are rectangular.
Balconies and a balustrade enhance this facade which looks out over the countryside, with a view of medieval ruins in the distance.


Ground floor
The chateau is entered via a large vestibule, decorated with trophies from local hunts. The exterior, semi-circular arched windows face double, wooden doors painted olive green. Black and ivory marble floor tiles are laid in a diamond pattern. The high ceiling, together with the omnipresent daylight, make this room quite stately.
Said entrance gallery provides access to the adjoining reception rooms, all of which look out over the garden. A music room precedes the main lounge which follows the main dining room, with a small dining room coming last. These rooms exude a 17th century air with all the artistic sophistication and good breeding that that infers. Louis XVI style panelling in pastel monochrome and accented hues, trumeaux, mirrors as well as “in majesty” and medallion paintings, all reflect the time of the intellectual salons of the “Ancien Régime” (Old Order). The art of entertaining can but be enjoyed here.
In addition to these bright rooms used for socialising, two wings complete the ground floor. On one side, a study-library will delight those who enjoy quietly reading alone by the fireside. Whilst the other side comprises utility rooms with, in particular, a large kitchen where a door also opens on to the outside.

First floor
A light-coloured, wooden stairway, covered with a thick carpet, goes up to the bedrooms via a central corridor and a mezzanine which, like a balcony, looks down on to the vestibule. This floor comprises six bedrooms with five adjoining bathrooms. They all have views of the parklands with, for some, a glimpse of the ruins of the fortified castle in the distance.
Second floor
This level is reached via a second, concealed stairway. It too comprises bedrooms and, to the delight of resident children, a playroom. The panoramic views are impressive.
Caretaker’s accommodation
A caretaker’s cottage, constructed from large blocks of local stone, completes this property.
Garage
A building resembling a traditional long farmhouse is used for storage and garage purposes. This building and the nearby caretaker’s cottage, together with the cellar in the chateau, form aesthetic and useful outbuildings.
The parklands
Tall black gates, flanked by a low stone wall, adjoin the parish church and form the property’s main entrance. A beech tree lined driveway then goes up, through a wooded section of the parklands, to the chateau. These eclectic parklands offer hikers a variety of landscapes with a seedling forest, meadows for horses, large areas laid to lawn and panoramic views over the countryside or the village. They also include a lake, a brook and the ruins of the chateau blown up by the Germans during the First World War.

Our opinion

This residence constitutes a good example of the great French architectural tradition. And, rare enough to be worthy of note, this chateau offers the elegance and subtility of life in Louis XV’s era combined with modern-day home comforts. The beauty of this chateau is equal to that of its site: near to a village but visually far from everything, with the medieval era in its sights. And lastly, it is but a few minutes from Soissons and just two hours from Paris by road. For those wishing to reach it by airplane, it is 1¼ hours from Charles-de-Gaulle airport.

Exclusive sale

790 000 €
Honoraires à la charge du vendeur


Voir le Barème d'Honoraires

Reference 231779

Land registry surface area 20 ha
Main building surface area 930 m2
Outbuilding surface area 100 m2

French Energy Performance Diagnosis

Regional representative


Jérôme Ferchaud       +33 1 42 84 80 85

contact

Share

send to a friend Pinterest twitter Facebook

NB: The above information is not only the result of our visit to the property; it is also based on information provided by the current owner. It is by no means comprehensive or strictly accurate especially where surface areas and construction dates are concerned. We cannot, therefore, be held liable for any misrepresentation.

En poursuivant votre navigation, vous acceptez l'utilisation de cookies pour vous proposer des services et offres adaptés à vos centres d'intérêts et mesurer la fréquentation de nos services. OK En savoir plus