near to Caen in Norman Switzerland
Norman Switzerland is a combination of valleys and plains, cliffs and meadows, rocks and rivers. The river Orne fashions its meanders, whilst eroding and sculpting the relief where flora and fauna flourish. The Rock of Oëtre and Rouvre Gorges, abounding in hiking trails, are less than 10 minutes away. Ronfil is, furthermore, only 20 minutes from Briouze train station, providing links to Paris-Montparnasse in just over two hours. Slip roads for the A88 motorway are 20 km away. This estate, 5 minutes from Ségrie-Fontaine with its local shops, looks out over an undulating, verdant landscape, edged with forests where numerous streams gurgle.
The farm and its outbuildings
The farm was constructed in the 17th century, as is proved by the forge with its impressive 1618 fireplace. Its interior, open courtyard gives access to all the buildings and faces the orchard. The house, the barn and the old forge are on one side, whilst the farm shed, the bakehouse and the cowshed are on the other.
The old forge, like the farm, dates from the 17th century. The dry-stone masonry is composed of ochre-coloured granite, a local rock, put together without mortar. The gable roof is covered with slate. Its impressive dressed stone fireplace has an oak wood lintel, engraved with the year 1618.
Next to the forge, a vast barn, spanning approx. 180 m², is constructed from large blocks of dressed quarry stone. Its gable roof is covered with slate. A wooden mezzanine adjoins the old, ever-preserved press-house.
Facing the barn, the house extends over 185 m². Its walls are composed of pointed, large granite stone blocks. It has a slate roof. A majestic fireplace is made of dressed stone, with an oak wood and granite mantel. At the back is a storeroom, with its packed mud floor.
This dressed stone farm shed, spanning approx. 50 m², stands on the right-hand side of the courtyard.
Near to the farm shed, a pathway leads to the bakehouse. This building, spanning approx. 97 m², is composed of large dressed blocks of ochre-coloured granite. Its gable roof is covered with slate. The impressive bread oven is on the lower level, with its packed mud floor. Over three hundred years old, it remains intact. An outside, granite stairway goes up to the second level housing a vast room. Its dressed stone fireplace has an oak wood mantel, engraved with the year 1818.
On either side of the pathway are 226 m² of enclosed parklands. A gable roof covered with slate tops dressed quarry stone block, earth and cob walls.
In the La-Lande wood, just a short distance from an attractive valley with a stream running through it, the menhir dubbed “Pierre à la demoiselle” bears witness to the Bronze Age. A Druid stone, of which there are numerous outcrops and fragments throughout the estate. In this rustic place, nature is a way of life and a reassuring presence. Completely unoverlooked, the buildings still have their original appearance and are all separate from one another, making them suitable for a multitude of projects. Rural and authentic, the Orne department has a peaceful landscape, full of mystery.
|Land registry surface area||24 ha|
|Main building surface area||185 m2|
|Number of bedrooms||3|
|Outbuilding surface area||631 m2|
Frédéric Reiman +33 1 42 84 80 85
NB: The above information is not only the result of our visit to the property; it is also based on information provided by the current owner. It is by no means comprehensive or strictly accurate especially where surface areas and construction dates are concerned. We cannot, therefore, be held liable for any misrepresentation.