in an 18th century mansion house overlooking a paved, wooded courtyard
In one of the 7th arrondissement’s famous streets where mansion houses and their gardens, most of which are out of sight of onlookers behind immense carriage gates, follow one on from another. Up until the end of the 18th century, a time when the mansion house was reconstructed, this site was a plain where Saint-Germain-des-Près Abbey grew vegetables.
Recent modernisation and other works carried out throughout this mansion house make it possible to acquire a private carparking space on the basement level, reached via a car lift in the courtyard. A cellar on the same basement level completes this property.
The mansion house
The history of the mansion house begins in 1660 when the count of Vauguyon commissioned its construction with architect Antoine-Le-Paultre, also responsible for the Hôtel-de-Beauvais in the Marais district. Numerous scholars were received here by the abbot of Ligny, bishop of Pamiers. Countess Fontaine lived here up until 1738, then Abbot Desmarets, Colbert’s nephew, rented it to Duke Saint-Simon, a famous 18th century memoirist. But it was Jacques-Denis-Antoine, architect of the law courts and Hôtel-des-Monnaies, who redesigned the building in 1771, giving the building, housing this property, its current appearance.
The entrance, double French windows, is similar to that of a house in a garden. A vast, extremely bright vestibule is covered with cement floor tiles, featuring geometric motifs. On one side, a floor-to-ceiling bookcase unit is set out around a central window. At the other end are a guest toilet and a cloakroom. A lounge, with exposed beams and oak wood parquet flooring laid in a herringbone pattern, is separated from the vestibule by four openings that are reminiscent of an indoor patio. A kitchen, fully fitted with units and a Boffi stainless-steel work surface, has a La-Cornue cooker. It is separated from the lounge by a partition wall. An area, adjoining and communicating with the lounge, is laid out as an independent studio flat, with a kitchen area and a shower room. It is reached via an entrance door on a landing in the communal section.
Another bedroom, with its bathroom, is on the entrance level and a polished concrete, quarter-turning, balanced stairway goes up to a third bedroom, with a shower room. Its ceiling, going up to a height of more than 5 m, has made it possible to construct a metal-framed mezzanine which adds a modern touch.
A stairway, against the facade wall, runs alongside the entrance hall bookshelf and provides access to the lower level which houses a projection room, also used as an office and meeting room. A laundry room and an area, illuminated via the roof, are enhanced with a shower room with a toilet.
A total surprise in the midst of Paris, a film set and an immediate feeling of peace, all hidden behind heavy carriage gates on the street and revealed when they open. The windows in this mansion house, its history fully known and documented, look out over a vast paved courtyard, improbable and nobly constructed on all sides. A circular lawn and a tall rhododendron are featured in its centre. The well-designed facades are low, the roofs covered with slate. The interior decoration is a clever combination of styles and an abundance of light. Even though the 7th arrondissement is extremely elegant, these premises have a somewhat magical advantage.
|Number of rooms||7|
|Number of bedrooms||3|
|Possible number of bedrooms||5|
|Living space||239 m2|
|Surface Parking 1||12 m2|
|Surface Cellar||6 m2|
|Number of lots||20|
|Annual average amount of the proportionate share of expenses||5455 €|
Guillaume Naa       +33 1 42 84 80 85
NB: The above information is not only the result of our visit to the property; it is also based on information provided by the current owner. It is by no means comprehensive or strictly accurate especially where surface areas and construction dates are concerned. We cannot, therefore, be held liable for any misrepresentation.