castles / chateaux for sale in loire - touraine region - loire valley

The chateau of the Marquis-de-La-Fayette and its chapel
with 7 hectares of parklands in the Touraine region
Tours, INDRE-ET-LOIRE center-val-de-loire 37000 FR


In the Loire Valley, classified as a World Heritage site by Unesco.
The mild climate makes this region extremely attractive. This property is just 20 minutes from Tours (which is less than an hour away from Paris via TGV train) and 15 minutes from a motorway slip road, putting the French capital 2½ hours away by car via the A10 motorway.
In a village, crossed by a river, with all local shops and amenities, this impressive chateau stands in the midst of 7 hectares of parklands.


Two round towers bear witness to the fact that this chateau was constructed on the vestiges of an old 15th century fortress. It then underwent major redesigning works at the beginning of the 18th century. General-Marquis-de-La-Fayette inherited the property from his mother, Marie-Louise-Julie-de-La-Rivière. The Marquis and his wife, born Adrienne-de-Noailles, stayed here many times up until 1792, date when the La-Fayette family sold the chateau. The building comprises a garden level, a ground floor, two upper levels and an attic floor as well as a chapel which flanks the north gable wall. It has been fully restored on the inside. This property also includes two outbuildings, awaiting renovation, and numerous cellars hewn in the rock.

The chateau

The current chateau, constructed in 1710, comprises a main building with a wing set at right angles on the east side. It is flanked by two towers dating from the 15th century on the west facade. A chapel, built in 1861 in a neo-gothic style, extends the main building on its north side. The east side of this chateau faces a main courtyard, whilst its west side looks out over parklands and lawns.

Garden level
The garden level comprises utility rooms such as a boiler room, a laundry, storerooms, kitchens, a wine cellar, a toilet and a wood store. It also houses a large vaulted reception room, with exposed stone walls and Burgundy stone floor tiles. It is in pristine condition.
Ground floor
A first lounge on the south side of the ground floor is decorated with panelling and oak wood parquet flooring. There is also panelling in the main lounge, painted just like the ceiling. The floor is covered with oak wood parquet flooring laid in a herringbone pattern. The marble fireplace and its gilt trumeau date from the 18th century. A large stone stairway is in a hall, following on from the entrance vestibule.
On the other side, a dining room has cement floor tiles, painted wall panelling, a French ceiling and a 17th century fireplace. It is followed by a small pantry, a vestibule, a reading room (library in the late 19th century), with its characteristic decoration featuring linenfold panels and its 16th century fireplace, a music room and a door leading to the tribune in the chapel. A first bedroom in the east wing has a high ceiling, its original parquet flooring, a shower room with an old wash-hand basin, an Italian style shower and a toilet. A spacious, double aspect bedroom at the end of the east wing is made extremely bright by its two tall windows, overlooking the parklands. It is extended by a 29 m² terrace. It still has its original parquet flooring. The bathroom has a wash-hand basin, an old bath and an Italian style shower. The toilet is separate.

First floor
A monumental stone stairway and a lift provide access to the first floor with its seven bedrooms and suites.
A first, 30 m² bedroom is extremely bright courtesy of two large windows, looking out over the parklands and the main courtyard. The fabrics and the furniture bring the great era of the Napoleon Empire to mind. Its superb bathroom has a view over the parklands and includes a wash-hand basin, an old bath and an Italian style shower. A second bedroom (21 m²), with its high ceiling featuring exposed beams, exudes a Portuguese air courtesy of its Frey wallpaper featuring “azulejos” (painted, tin-glazed ceramic tiles). Its furniture dates from the early 18th century. Also bright, it has a bathroom with a large window looking out over the main courtyard, a wash-hand basin, an old bath and a toilet.
A first suite on the parklands side features high ceilings and spans a floor surface area of 50 m². With 18th century beams, an unobstructed view of the lawns and trees as well as a lounge area, it is very peaceful. It also holds a surprise in that its bathroom, behind a concealed door, is a large room laid out in one of the chateau’s medieval towers. It is fitted with a window overlooking the parklands, a wash-hand basin, an old bath, an Italian style shower and a toilet.
Another bright, spacious suite (50 m²) has a lounge area and looks out over the parklands just like its bathroom which is as well equipped as the others. A bedroom, perhaps the quietest in the chateau, spans 23 m² and looks out over the parklands. Its bathroom, almost as big as the bedroom, is laid out in the other medieval tower.
In the east wing are two bedrooms, one of which was used by the Marquise-de-La-Fayette, born Adrienne-de-Noailles. It is spacious (27 m²), feminine and very bright with its original ceiling beams and parquet flooring. The furniture, dating from the Louis XVI period, no doubt appealed to this refined lady. The bedroom obviously has its own bathroom, just like the last one on this floor which spans 22 m² and looks out over the main courtyard.
One room is used as a linen room.

Second floor
The second floor, reached via the main stairway or via the lift, comprises a large bedroom (39 m²) overlooking the main courtyard. Its furniture dates from the 19th century. Its bathroom, comfortable like all the others in the chateau, has a light featuring cascades of pendant stones.
The variety of styles is completed by that of another bedroom, the early 19th century English style furniture of which is reminiscent of ancient Egypt. It looks out over the chateau’s main courtyard just like the previous one, is about the same size and features a beam on which the name of the carpenter and the date of the construction of the roof (1706) were discovered during restoration works. The toilet is separate from the bathroom. And lastly, a flat has a balcony and a storage area in the tower. It comprises a large lounge, a small l
The third and top floor includes the most original bedroom, under an 18th century, inverted hull shaped roofing framework, without a wall separating the bathroom (the toilet is a room apart). Cosy and isolated from the rest of the chateau, it can be reached via the lift up to the second floor and then via a little stairway.

The chapel

The chapel, flanking the north gable wall, was built as an extension of the main building. The first stone was blessed on 30 July 1717 and this place of worship, devoted to Saint-Louis, was consecrated on 27 June 1719. It houses the founder’s sumptuous marble mausoleum, the work of Dijon’s sculptor, Claude-Dubois. The stainless steel windows were made by Pierre-Lobin. In pristine condition, it is the biggest private chapel in the region.

The outbuildings

This property also comprises two outbuildings awaiting renovation. One is a caretaker’s cottage, spanning 300 m², with three main rooms on the ground floor, three rooms upstairs and a vast vaulted cellar. More outbuildings on the south-west side include a small, chalet style house, spanning approx. 15 m². And lastly, there are two large cellars, spanning over 100 m², hewn in the rock.

The parklands

The adjoining 6.9 hectares of parklands, including the main courtyard, a terrace and gravel alleyways, are completely enclosed. Some of the trees are over one hundred years old. The miscellaneous species consist of conifer, oak and lime trees with an orchard comprising fruit trees. These immaculately kept parklands surround the chateau.

Our opinion

After Chenonceau, Amboise, Loches and Villandry comes the chateau of the Marquis-de-La-Fayette. The current building is not much older than the military exploits of the illustrious general. Notably remaining from the original building are two round towers which contribute to the balance and harmony of the property. Their candlesnuffer roofs rise up into the sky like the spire on the chapel, whilst the modestly aligned windows are but an invitation for earthly pleasures. Sixteen bedrooms featuring different styles, a lift and an interior decoration worthy of the building’s overall elegance are not superb vestiges left by its history but the peaceful opulence in which the premises have always been steeped.

2 395 000 €
Honoraires à la charge du vendeur

Voir le Barème d'Honoraires

Reference 195311

Land registry surface area 7 ha 46 a 50 ca
Main building surface area 1934 m2
Outbuilding surface area 450 m2

Regional representative

Alexandre Charifi       +33 1 42 84 80 85



send to a friend Pinterest twitter Facebook Google Plus

NB: The above information is not only the result of our visit to the property; it is also based on information provided by the current owner. It is by no means comprehensive or strictly accurate especially where surface areas and construction dates are concerned. We cannot, therefore, be held liable for any misrepresentation.

En poursuivant votre navigation, vous acceptez l'utilisation de cookies pour vous proposer des services et offres adaptés à vos centres d'intérêts et mesurer la fréquentation de nos services. OK En savoir plus