castles chateaux for sale in france

A listed 17th century chateau and its outbuildings in a superb setting
comprising 18 ha of parkland, plain and forest in Normandy

, EURE upper-normandy FR
Haute-Normandie

Location

This property is 140 km from Paris via the motorway, 34 km from Rouen and 70 km from Deauville and the sea.
The nearest village, its shops and amenities are 5 km away whilst the nearest SNCF train station is 15 km away.

Description

Tall 18th century wrought iron gates, also listed, are set in nuisance-free, peaceful Normandy countryside. They open on to a majestic driveway that leads, right, to a “charreterie” where carriages were once kept, the staff house and the chateau.
On the left-hand side is a dovecote with an orangery set further back. All await completion of their restoration works. The chateau is reflected in a vast lake.
The immense parklands designed by a follower of Le-Nôtre were created between 1663 and 1675. The round dovecote dates from a later period.
The beauty of these parklands has been a source of inspiration, for instance, Jean-de-La-Fontaine and Fontenelle came here to recharge their batteries as well as to write fables and speeches.
It was courtesy of the current owner’s pugnacity that almost the entire property became listed in 2015, the protection also including the parklands and their features (parterres, views, radiating planted avenues, scarped ditches, perimeter walls and gates).
The estate has some attractive views over the cultivated plains and the neighbouring hamlet. The bridle paths in the wooded section, 10 out of the total 18 ha, are laid out in a star shape. During the 18th century, the parklands were enhanced with mythological statues. A little bridge spans the dry moat near to the chateau. The chapel disappeared at the time of the French Revolution. The ice cave is 60 m deep.

The 17th century chateau, redesigned in the18th century

A chateau has been on this site since the 13th century. It suffered greatly throughout the One Hundred Years War and a siege of the League in 1592. Destroyed, it was reconstructed over three levels at the beginning of the 17th century. The facades are a blend of stone, used for the quoins and window framing as well as the lower sections, and of brick, used for the remainder.
During redesigning works carried out in 1740, the building was flanked by a wing, constructed at right angles on the main courtyard, thus forming an “L” shape. It currently spans a total floor surface area of 600 m².
Its hip roofs, featuring Jacobin style roof dormers with wrought zinc flashing, top the brick facades, adorned with white stone toothed quoins. Some openings are protected by wrought iron bars. The facades also feature bull’s eye windows.
One section of the roof, although weathertight, needs redoing.
This reasonably-sized building, constructed over a 15th century cellar, is bright with large rooms.
Twelve bedrooms, two lounges, a library, a dining room, a kitchen and a pantry are laid out over two levels of living space. The third level is taken up by an attic, awaiting restoration works.


Ground floor
Doors open directly from the outside into the large reception rooms.
The floors feature oak wood parquet flooring, paving stones with inlaid decoration, stone tiles and even 18th century hexagonal terracotta tiles, dating from after the French Revolution. The walls are adorned with impressive 17th and 18th century listed panelling. Some rooms have marble fireplaces.

First floor
This level comprises nine bedrooms.
The floors feature parquet flooring or terracotta tiles. Some of the rooms are enhanced with fireplaces.

The old staff house

This old staff house spans a floor surface area of approx. 200 m². Its external facades are currently undergoing restoration works, carried out in accordance with traditional trade practices courtesy of subsidies granted by the French Historic Monument Society. Lime rendering and white stone toothed quoins breathe new life into the building. The major interest of the adjoining stable is that of a 17th century carved horse’s head as well as a monumental bread oven.
The inside of this outbuilding will be in need of full restoration works over both levels. Although the building is weathertight, the roof needs redoing.

The “charreterie” where carriages were once kept

Completely weathertight, the gable roof needs re-thatching. This 2-storey building dates from the 17th century. It has half-timbered facades.

The dovecote

This round, aristocratic dovecote on pillars has a rendered facade adorned with toothed brick framing and two string courses. The latter are formed by a protruding alignment of flat stones, spanning about 10 centimes and encircling the outside of the building. The purpose of this feature was to prevent predators from climbing.
The candlesnuffer roof is no longer in existence. The dovecote is protected by a tightly attached tarpaulin that keeps it weathertight.

The orangery

The orangery, standing in the parklands, awaits full restoration works.

Our opinion

The history of this site began well before Louis XIII. The style associated with this king is not the only one to exist amongst the group of buildings comprising this estate. All are now listed, just like the sumptuous parklands. Courtesy of the perseverance of the current owner, the French Historic Monument Society validated her convictions and actions. The heritage interest of this property is significant as is the satisfaction to be gained by those who carry on the good work. The relevant tax benefits will also be fair reward for a project of this quality.

795 000 €
Honoraires à la charge du vendeur


Voir le Barème d'Honoraires

Barème d'honoraires
au 1er Avril 2017

Ventes d'immeubles

À Paris et en Ile-de-France
Prix de vente au-delà de 600 000 euros       5% TTC*
Prix de vente de 400 000 à 600 000 euros   6% TTC*
Prix de vente de 200 000 À 400 000 euros   7% TTC*
Prix de vente jusqu'à 200 000 euros             9% TTC*
Honoraires à la charge du Vendeur

En Province
Prix de vente au-delà de 500 000 euros       6% TTC*
Prix de vente jusqu'à 500 000 euros   30 000 Euros TTC* (forfait)
Honoraires à la charge du Vendeur

Expertise

Avis de valeur argumenté : 1 800 Euros TTC*
Expertise à partir de 2 400 Euros TTC*
Les tarifs des expertises sont communiqués sur devis personnalisé établi sur la base d’un taux horaire moyen de 120 Euros TTC*

   

*TTC : TVA incluse au taux de 20 %

Reference 261558

Land registry surface area 17 ha 96 a 35 ca
Main building surface area 400 m2
Outbuilding surface area 600 m2

 

 French Energy Performance Diagnosis

Regional representative
Upper And Lower Normandy

Marie Merien       +33 1 42 84 80 85


contact

My favorites

Share

send to a friend Pinterest twitter Facebook Google Plus

NB: The above information is not only the result of our visit to the property; it is also based on information provided by the current owner. It is by no means comprehensive or strictly accurate especially where surface areas and construction dates are concerned. We cannot, therefore, be held liable for any misrepresentation.


E-carte

Send


En poursuivant votre navigation, vous acceptez l'utilisation de cookies pour vous proposer des services et offres adaptés à vos centres d'intérêts et mesurer la fréquentation de nos services. OK En savoir plus