A mansion house and its designer aviary, exceptional Art Nouveau style heritage
in the midst of Japanese parklands in a little town in the Green Beaujolais area
Roanne, RHONE rhones-alps 42300 FR

Location

This property stands in the centre of a little town constructed on a rocky spur in the Green Beaujolais area. As of the 16th century, this town was a large market place for exchanging flax and hemp. It then developed during the booming textile industry up until the middle of the 19th century. Rich industrialists had mansion hotels built, rivalling their architectural features and giving this small market town a middle-class image. Following the decline of the textile industry, the region turned towards tourism. The Lac-des-Sapins (fir-tree lake) is just a stone’s throw away. The biggest artificial lake in Europe, it receives more than 200,000 visitors per year and offers numerous leisure activities such as swimming, sailing and horse riding as well as hiking and mountain bike trails. About 20 minutes from Roanne and 35 minutes from Villefranche-sur-Saône. Lyon and its TGV train station are an hour away. Amplepuis station provides direct train links to Lyon several times per day.

Description

This property comprises a mansion house and an aviary with a Japanese-style roof in parklands, spanning approx. 2,000 m², in the centre of a little town. The parklands feature a Japanese-style landscape, directly influenced by the Anglo-Japanese gardens that were fashionable in the 1900’s. This mansion house was constructed by a textile industrialist in 1897, at the height of the Art Nouveau era. It features decor resulting from this movement. The door lintels and windows on the ground floor are decorated with friezes with motifs of branches of flowers and cherry bay by ceramist and sculptor Emile Muller. The corners of the building have glazed facade ornamentation. Glazed terracotta tiles became extremely popular after the 1878 Universal Exhibition. This craze for multiple colours is scarce in the region; this property is one of the few bearing witness to it.

The mansion house

This mansion house, spanning four stories, has features reminiscent of Anglo-Norman villas. A bow window and triple windows adorn the south-facing facade which dominates the town and the garden. The rendered facades include multi-coloured and wooden features. Under the projecting roof, a painted string course represents oak, plane, horse chestnut, olive and laurel branches. In ochre and red outlines, leaves and golden yellow fruit contrast with a bright blue background. This decor is not related to the ceramic features that adorn the facades.


Ground floor
Double wooden doors, with glazed upper sections, open into an entrance hall, closed by a second set of double doors with glazed, small paned fanlights. Once through this second set of doors, a large vestibule, with an antique style, sandstone mosaic floor, features an old, elegant glass roof. It provides access, via a corridor, to the reception rooms as well as to a study, a kitchen and a toilet. A door leads out to the garden. This property did not escape the trends of the 1900’s and mixes historic styles and inspirations. Consequently, the entrance hall faces a first lounge, illuminated via a bow window which frames two windows, featuring clear glass leaded lights with inlaid decoration. The room is heated by a marble fireplace, topped with a trumeau mirror, featuring a medallion adorned with musical instruments. The floor is covered with parquet flooring laid in a randomly matched pattern and the ceiling decorated with a rose as well as moulding. This first lounge communicates with the large lounge, featuring a triple window and windows with leaded lights identical to those in the first lounge. Painted panels above the doors are decorated in an 18th century manner. One of them represents a blindfolded Cupid with a quiver of arrows. The red veined marble fireplace in the large lounge is enhanced with a copper fireback. The vestibule then leads to a dining room adjoining the kitchen which communicates via a serving hatch. The room is lined with Henry II style panelling and features a fireplace, combining wood and ceramic, a style which was extremely fashionable in the 1900’s. A wide wooden stairway, also in the large vestibule, provides access to the first floor. A vast window, half-way up, still has its original stained glass which diffuses coloured light.
First floor
The rooms are reached via an open passageway that overlooks the entrance vestibule, topped with its glass roof. It leads to a first bedroom which has its own bathroom and separate toilet. This level has two other bedrooms, communicating with a shower room. Another room has just been laid out as a home cinema, together with a small bar and a toilet. It precedes a master suite comprising a good-sized bedroom, a bathroom with a toilet and a large dressing room. A linen room completes this floor.
Second floor
The large wooden stairway continues up to the second floor where five large bedrooms are laid out under the sloping roofs, each with its own bathroom and toilet. An exercise room and a massage room, with a bathroom, are also on this floor. Once used for housing domestic staff, this level now comprises pleasant bedrooms, some of which have small balconies, from which to admire the view of the town and the surrounding areas.
Basement
A stone stairway goes down to the basement of this mansion house. This level comprises a wine cellar, a boiler room, a workshop and a reception room, all of which open on to the garden.

The aviary and the parklands

A landscaped garden surrounds this house. It forms the sort of picturesque, wild and exotic setting that was very much in fashion at the beginning of the 20th century. It features a waterfall, enhancing an ornamental pool, as well as an aviary, made elegant by multi-coloured glazed bricks, the transparency of the glass and a Japanese-style roof. This aviary stands near to the entrance, in a corner of the garden. Its framework is constructed from wrought iron designed by F.D.Pompey, the famous factory that was directly involved in the construction of Eiffel Tower. This garden is also planted with numerous species such as Japanese maple and pine trees as well as azalea and old rose bushes.

Our opinion

This mansion house, bearing rare witness to the Art Nouveau style in the region, still has many authentic features. Creating the unity of art and life was the stated objective of this artistic movement. Inventiveness, colours, ornamentation inspired by nature introduced fantasy and sensitivity into everyday life. The atmosphere exuded by this building, both inside and out, brings colour to life! The initial objective was, therefore, achieved here. Exploring every nook and cranny of the landscaped garden, daydreaming in the aviary or climbing the hillsides around Lyon guarantees a pastoral and pleasant change of scenery that would ideally suit all the members of a large, thriving family who would have all the space they require in this building. The immediate proximity of a region with a very good tourist trade evokes the possibility of starting a hotel and catering, bed & breakfast or seminar activity.

735 000 €
Honoraires à la charge du vendeur


Voir le Barème d'Honoraires

Reference 849659

Land registry surface area 2084 m2
Main building surface area 615 m2
Outbuilding surface area 195 m2

French Energy Performance Diagnosis

Regional representative


Florence Granier       +33 1 42 84 80 85

contact

Share

send to a friend Pinterest twitter Facebook

NB: The above information is not only the result of our visit to the property; it is also based on information provided by the current owner. It is by no means comprehensive or strictly accurate especially where surface areas and construction dates are concerned. We cannot, therefore, be held liable for any misrepresentation.

En poursuivant votre navigation, vous acceptez l'utilisation de cookies pour vous proposer des services et offres adaptés à vos centres d'intérêts et mesurer la fréquentation de nos services. OK En savoir plus