In Burgundy, in the midst of a historic town,
an 18th century, middle-class home
Auxerre, YONNE burgundy 89000 FR

Location

A residence in the midst of a renowned historic, tourist town, near to all daily amenities and just 15 minutes’ walk from an SNCF train station with 1½-hour links to Paris-Bercy.
The town is well-known for its historic architectural heritage dating back to the Middle-Ages and to the Renaissance period. Classified as a French town of Art and History since 1995, it has 35 listed or classified historic monuments and three national museums.
The town is also famous for its AOC Chablis vines growing just a few kilometres from the town.

Description

A shopping street stands out from amongst the paved, narrow streets, characteristic of the town, with their many half-timbered houses. This house is to be found there, surrounded by works of architecture with some houses featuring corner pillars adorned with sculptures from the early Middle-Ages or Renaissance period and, above all, the entrance gate of the old abbey (1530-1540), heavily inspired by that of Castelnuovo in Naples. Two characters, Ceres and Noah, are represented here.
The facade of the house and its main entrance open on to an old street that used to cross the vine-growers’ district. A second, side entrance, on Place-Saint-Pierre, features a wooden porchway. The rear of the house comprises a garden, with several stone benches and an arcade featuring a central Maltese cross, added by one of its former owners. A small outbuilding attracts attention courtesy of its green colour. This was no doubt a “vinée” or fermenting room which opened on to an alleyway. An old vine-grower’s cellar runs alongside the house. A spectacular view of Saint-Pierre’s church which was financed in bygone times by the vine-growers. This beautiful church features gothic architecture, with a 16th century tower and a 17th century facade, reflecting the Renaissance period. The two statues of Saint-Vincent and Saint-Cartaud, patrons of the district’s two main vocations: vine-grower and butcher, can be seen from the house.

The main house

This house has been lived in since 1736. It was occupied in the 19th century by Doctor Dionis-des-Carrières a well-known celebrity, who was a member of the French department of Yonne’s most eminent Historical and Natural Science Society. He discovered the origin of typhoid fever amongst other things.
The architecture is quite sober. The house has a large lower section with several basement windows. The ground floor is, therefore, slightly raised. The double openings are accompanied by solid shutters. The main entrance is composed of double wooden doors, enhanced with a glass fanlight. Two small stone steps precede the threshold. The first-floor windows are fitted with wrought iron railings and slatted shutters. The different architecture on the garden side indicates the building’s various construction stages. The windows are extremely varied. Some have a fixed upright and a fixed cross bar with moulded architraves, whilst others resemble those on the road side facade. Double doors, much plainer than those of the main entrance, open into the house.


Ground floor
The main entrance opens into a corridor decorated with floor tiles, depicting cubes, from the 1930’s era and wall panelling. A study has a central, open-hearth fireplace and strip pattern parquet flooring. Double moulded doors open into a small ladies’ sitting room with a wash-hand basin. This room is panelled. It precedes a bright, child’s bedroom, overlooking the garden. A stately lounge is enhanced with an impressive open-hearth, brick and marble fireplace as well as herringbone pattern parquet flooring. An old wall tapestry is illuminated via windows opened by espagnolette bolts. Double moulded doors open into a dining room where all the walls are lined with panelling. Herringbone parquet flooring and a cast iron wood-burning stove, topped with a period mirror, complete the decor. A door in the lounge provides direct access to the kitchen and back kitchen. The dining room is also near to the kitchen. The corridor houses a first stairway, with balusters, going up to the floor above.
First floor
A large landing provides access to five bedrooms, each exuding its own character. One large bedroom stands out from the others courtesy of its moulded cupboards and, above all, the alcove that houses its bed. This bedroom has an adjoining bathroom. It is followed by a reading room, with bookshelves and a marble and brick fireplace. Two wide windows look out over Saint-Pierre’s church and the roofs of the town, with the countryside in the distance. A door in this reading room provides access to two more bedrooms. On the other side of the landing, a small study, another bedroom which has the particularity of having moulded cupboards as well as a 19th century trumeau depicting embracing angels or putti. Another bedroom has an unusual feature, that of a large glazed fanlight, framed with moulding. Most of the rooms on the first floor have strip pattern parquet flooring. A second stairway, different from the first, has wooden steps with red terracotta tile nosing.
Second floor
This level has old terracotta floor tiles throughout. A small landing provides access to the attic and to a very large bedroom, once part of the attic and now renovated with an adjoining shower room. There are two more small bedrooms, also with terracotta floor tiles and a cast iron wood-burning stove. Another has a water supply point.
Outbuilding
A small building which was once used for storing wine takes up part of the garden. A garage, a table-tennis room and, upstairs, an attic which could be converted into a large games room or a large bedroom. A vaulted cellar is to be found near to the house.

Our opinion

This house is a very pleasant place to live as it stands in the town centre, enhanced by its surroundings and their historic monuments.
The inside of the building is marked by its clarity and its numerous original features such as old parquet flooring, windows with espagnolette bolts, fireplaces, moulding and period panelling.
The house’s architecture is typical of those inhabited in the past by leading citizens.
Works will have to be scheduled. Several bathrooms need renovating, the kitchen needs modernising and some of the other rooms need repainting. The house is well heated.
This residence, exuding character, is simply magnificent.
It would also suit self-employed professionals wanting to work from home.

Exclusive sale

350 000 €
Fees at the Vendor’s expense


See the fee rates

Reference 158667

Land registry surface area 554 m2
Number of bedrooms 9
Main building surface area 342 m2
Outbuilding surface area 66 m2

French Energy Performance Diagnosis

Regional representative


Isabelle Ponelle +33 1 42 84 80 85

contact

Share

send to a friend Pinterest twitter Facebook

NB: The above information is not only the result of our visit to the property; it is also based on information provided by the current owner. It is by no means comprehensive or strictly accurate especially where surface areas and construction dates are concerned. We cannot, therefore, be held liable for any misrepresentation.

By continuing your navigation, you accept the use of cookies to offer you services and offers adapted to your centers of interest and to measure the frequentation of our services. Learn more