character houses for sale in france vendee near la roche sur yon

A Vendée-style house, filled with history, in parklands of more than 20 ha,
with outbuildings and stables very near to beaches and La-Roche-sur-Yon
, VENDEE pays-de-loire FR

Location

This property is in the dynamic (economy and demography) French department of Vendée. It is the leading department in the tourist industry along the Atlantic coast courtesy, in particular, of the coastline known as the “Côte de Lumière” (coast of light) because of its sunny climate. The landscapes are varied with plains, bocage and marshland, including the famous Poitevin marshes. La-Roche-sur-Yon is well-known for its magnificent horse stud farms. The nearest beaches are 30 minutes away whilst the islands of Ile-de-Noirmoutier and Ile-de-Ré are easily reached in an hour.
It takes but 10 minutes by car to get to the centre of La-Roche-sur-Yon or the slip roads for the A87 motorway to Angers and Paris. La-Roche-sur-Yon train station has 1-hour TER train links to Nantes and 3-hour TGV train links to Paris.

Description

The origins of this property date back to 1572, when the French Lord of Estang acquired this estate and had a house constructed. It was then handed down to the men and women of the same family until 1994. The women, in particular, of this family became renowned for their courage during the Vendée Wars which were, no doubt, responsible for the destruction of some of the buildings. The latter were heavily redesigned at the beginning of the 19th century as is proved by the engraving of the year 1801 on the pediment over the front door.
The buildings are out of sight of the road. The property is entered via a plain barrier. A 200 m long driveway, leading to the house, is predominantly bordered by one-hundred-year-old oak trees. A tennis court can be discreetly glimpsed through the trees. The main house comes into view facing the driveway and is extended by a second building, set at right angles and known as “Emita’s house”, with a little chapel included in the facade carcass. The architecture is typical of local traditional houses which appear relatively plain but their composition harbours a specialist knowledge of proportions. The low roofs are covered with Roman tiles; the ends are enhanced with overhanging cornices. The outbuildings, beyond the houses, form a square courtyard. Only the stables have been fully restored. The vegetable garden and the orchard are completely enclosed by walls which also contain a swimming pool. The main building spans approx. 450 m² of living space; Emita’s house spans 250 m². These buildings stand in more than 20 hectares of grasslands and woods.

The main house

This rectangular house, spanning two levels, is constructed from rendered quarry stone blocks. It is extended on the east side by a lower pavilion and a chapel set at right angles on the west side. The front door, forming the house’s axis of symmetry, is topped with a pediment containing a coat-of-arms and the year 1801. The roofs are covered with tiles, typical of the region. The rear facade comprises two projections on either side of double doors opening on to the garden. Major renovation works were carried out in 1994 and the house has been very well maintained since.


Ground floor
The house’s main entrance is composed of double doors set in the middle of the facade, but it is also possible to use a door in the gable end of the building opening into a kitchen. The latter, spanning more than 50 m², is flanked by a pantry and a cloakroom. A corridor leads the length of the facade from the kitchen to a dining room, a vestibule housing a wide wooden stairway, going up to the first floor, a lounge, a library and another smaller lounge, before ending in a bedroom with a bathroom. The floors are covered with terracotta tiles in the kitchen, cement tiles in the corridor and the dining room and parquet flooring in the other rooms. The library dates from the reconstruction of the house. The polychrome ceilings have been restored.
First floor
The first floor comprises four bedrooms, each with its own bath or shower room and toilet. A study.

The chapel

This chapel separates the main building from Emita’s house. Three stone steps lead up to a triangular arched door, topped with a stained-glass window and a stone spire, housing an alcove containing the statue of the Virgin Mary. Features such as statues and the altar are still present but all are in need of major restoration works.

Emita's house

This section of the building has not been lived in since the 1990’s. Rectangular in shape, the house spans a floor surface area of approx. 250 m² over two levels. It comprises four bedrooms, a lounge and a dining room. It awaits restoration works.

The outbuildings

The outbuildings, laid out around a square courtyard, include a cowshed, a wine storehouse, a press-house, an old caretaker’s cottage and miscellaneous buildings used for storage purposes. Restoration works have only been carried out in the stables, the photographs of which were part of a Vendée horse exhibition in 2003.

The vegetable garden and the orchard

This fully walled area, spanning 3,600 m², comprises a vegetable garden, an orchard and a swimming pool.

Our opinion

In the peace and quiet, without being isolated, in a lively, multi-facetted region.
This is, undeniably, one of those properties which are handed down and restored through generations. It perfectly embodies the luxurious robustness of the local traditional houses. Although it was redesigned in the 19th century, it still exudes its original 16th century character, that is to say that of a stately house as is proved by the presence of a chapel. This property is both sober and elegant. The inside of the main house has been very well renovated, making it welcoming and comfortable. The fully restored stables will appeal to horse lovers. The two houses, the many outbuildings and the surface area of grassland and woods pave the way for a wide variety of projects.

1 277 000 €
Honoraires à la charge du vendeur


Voir le Barème d'Honoraires

Reference 303163

Land registry surface area 21 ha 63 a 32 ca
Main building surface area 700 m2
Outbuilding surface area 1000 m2

French Energy Performance Diagnosis

Regional representative


Nadine Riant       +33 1 42 84 80 85

contact

Share

send to a friend Pinterest twitter Facebook

NB: The above information is not only the result of our visit to the property; it is also based on information provided by the current owner. It is by no means comprehensive or strictly accurate especially where surface areas and construction dates are concerned. We cannot, therefore, be held liable for any misrepresentation.

En poursuivant votre navigation, vous acceptez l'utilisation de cookies pour vous proposer des services et offres adaptés à vos centres d'intérêts et mesurer la fréquentation de nos services. OK En savoir plus