with a 400 m² garden near the banks of the Seine 65 km from Paris
The little town with its 5,000 inhabitants, in which this property stands, has everything to be found in a large one including infrastructures, a SNCF train station and a bus service, providing 50-minute links to Paris-La-Défense. The train goes to Saint-Lazare. Mantes-la-Jolie is some 15 km away, Vernon is 10 km away and Evreux 30 km away. The birthplace of impressionism, in the Vexin region, is close by. All shops are within walking distance. An attractive, recently renovated square, hosts a market every Sunday morning.
Building no. 1
This old precision engineering factory, constructed in the 1950’s, closed down in the 1980’s.
It was then used by the town for miscellaneous storage purposes as well as serving a noble cause: “Restos du Coeur”, a French food distribution charity. The current owners have developed an artistic project there, creating 526 m² of living space at the same time.
A gamble that has paid off insofar as the architecture characteristic of this type of factory, with its sheds, vast surface glazed areas and metal beams, has been preserved, right down to the original green colour! An exceptional atmosphere reigns throughout as of the very entrance. 462 m² still awaits reconversion.
The immense hall, transformed into a lounge-dining room with a ceiling more than 7 m high, is illuminated via double glazing, overlooking the courtyard and in the roof. The living space is divided between two buildings, separate from one another.
A kitchen-bar almost 9 m long has been designed in such a way that conviviality is not lost because of its size. A back kitchen and a laundry room have been laid out at the back. Also at the back is another room currently used as a cosier dining room, illuminated via three picture windows and adjoining the back kitchen and the laundry room. A bedroom and a shower room complete this level.
The original stairway goes upstairs to an immense lounge, once the foreman’s office, and an unconverted attic.
The original ceilings have been preserved.
The iron stairway provides access, left, to the “foreman’s office” with glazing that enabled him to keep an eye on his employees below. It is now a simple study. A large lounge, steeped in light via the glazed surface areas provides a view of the entire ground floor.
Building no. 2
Completely separate from building no. 1, this construction stands facing the latter, near to the garden.
This level comprises the caretaker’s lodge, two bedrooms, a small kitchen, a shower room as well as an outhouse used for storage purposes.
Those who consider themselves totally indifferent to industrial architecture would be well advised to visit this property. The transformation of this old factory into living accommodation is a complete success. The glazed walls with their metal framework have created a light-filled cathedral. Its pure lines have been enhanced. The metal stairway is one of those dreamed of in open-plan flats. The open spaces give the impression that residents can breathe better here than anywhere else. And just 60 km from Paris! Even the original revamped colour is unexpectedly cheerful. Vast areas are still available for a multitude of projects once the main aim of settling into such an exceptional home has been achieved.
|Land registry surface area||1396 m2|
|Main building surface area||1000 m2|
Marie Merien +33 1 42 84 80 85
NB: The above information is not only the result of our visit to the property; it is also based on information provided by the current owner. It is by no means comprehensive or strictly accurate especially where surface areas and construction dates are concerned. We cannot, therefore, be held liable for any misrepresentation.