In Brittany, in the midst of a village, 20 minutes from the sea,
a Knights’ Templar commandery, its 15th century gatehouse and its 18th century manor house
Guingamp, COTES-D'ARMOR brittany 22200 FR

Location

Set immediately north of the N12 which, linking Paris to Brest, cannot be heard any more than it can be seen. Equidistant from Lannion, Guingamp and Morlaix, the three main tourist and economic towns in the historic Trégor region. In a lively village, enhanced with local shops and amenities, providing daily necessities. 9 minutes from a TGV train station; 20 minutes from the sea and its beaches.

Description

The oldest section of this property was initially a Knights’ Templar commandery. Almost 400 years later, it became home to the illustrious General-Le-Bouedec. The latter distinguished himself in the 1849 Oriental Campaign, then as commander of Camp Conlie in 1870. He took part in French history’s first ever air lift (in a hot-air balloon) between Paris and Tours during the siege of the French capital in 1871. A feat that took him and two comrades in arms to an altitude of almost 5,000 m, an absolute record at the time. This manor house was his entrenched camp where he came to relax and live out his days.
This estate was purchased from one of the general’s descendants in 1909 by a member of the current family. The building and its gatehouse completely conceal extremely pastoral parklands, spanning almost 9,000 m². Enhanced with a well and a gigantic trough, a small garden, once witness to an intense social life, is pleasantly laid out in front of the street-facing west facade. This manor house stands opposite the characteristic parish enclosure, with a little quiet narrow street separating them.
On one side, the 15th century gatehouse comprises a carriage gate, next to a pedestrian gate, all topped with a red tile roof, a somewhat unusual feature in the Trégor region. The 18th century manor house on the other side also features unusual architecture. The buildings and their gardens are entirely enclosed with granite stone walls.

An overview of the buildings

Although the buildings’ continuous facade commands respect from the narrow street, its L-shape concealed in the courtyard surprises visitors with its hidden harmony.
Extending the manor house, the gatehouse features a red tile roof and a facade typical of the 15th century. With its semi-circular and triangular arched gateways, it delightfully softens the austere appearance of the property.
This unusual couple, composed of the manor house and its gatehouse, immediately appeals. Although totally different, opposites attract one another, even as regards architecture.

The manor house

Its facade, as seen from the street, displays a roof block composed of asymmetrical slopes. The gable appears older than the facade because of its splayed windows. It is possible to make out the former presence of wooden shutters.


Ground floor
The entrance door is set on the parklands side in the corner of the “L”, next to an outstanding ogee window. It opens into a kitchen with a monumental fireplace. Mysterious figures still adorn, as best they can, the jambs’ corbelling. Who were they to have been so badly damaged at the time of the French Revolution?
The vestibule houses a superb wooden stairway. One of two doors opens into a small ladies’ sitting room, the other leads to a dining room and its adjoining lounge. Both are adorned with outstanding panelling, with inset medallions. Minerva, goddess of war strategy (well worthy of an illustrious general’s home), appears to contemplate the Renaissance period, from Anne of Brittany to Henry IV, including François 1st.

First floor
This layout is ideal for accommodating the biggest bedroom with its own bathroom. Two other bedrooms are set on either side of a shared, communal shower room.
High ceilings make this floor bright and spacious.

Second floor
This level, laid out under the rafters, could easily be converted, creating a single space or several rooms for a variety of purposes.

The gatehouse

The gatehouse is an essential feature of the property, not only because of its authenticity but also because of its utility. The wide, semi-circular arched carriage gateway has double gates and a keystone the height of a heavily-loaded cart. It provides access to the manor house’s parklands and prevents the interior from being overlooked. It is flanked by a triangular-arched pedestrian gateway, reminiscent of a postern, the property being fully enclosed by walls. The pilasters surrounding it, bearing the patina of time, bring to mind the wrought doors of the region’s Renaissance chapels. The house could also be converted for other purposes.

The belvedere

This belvedere, as its name suggests, provides a particularly outstanding view. Exceptionally, said view is obtained here from the top of a tower.

The shed

This medium-sized shed, standing in the midst of the parklands, includes a cellar and a small attic. It is used for storing fruit, wine and garden vegetables. It would be possible to transform it into another small house.

The barn

This barn, with its granite stone base and its wooden walls, adjoins one of the sides of the manor house.

The miscellaneous gardens

These gardens come into view once through the gatehouse, immediately revealing their lush, abundant vegetation. The wood as well as the upper and lower gardens constitute the property’s parklands. The two gardens are separated by a low stone wall. It was here that General-Le-Bouedec decided to install a souvenir from one of his oriental campaigns. It is possible to glimpse a face, sculpted in a stone, set on a promontory. Research will have to be carried out to discover the origins of this feature.

Our opinion

These historical buildings are surprising, predominantly because of their location in the midst of a village. Despite the diversity of their architectural and decorative features dating from miscellaneous eras, including electrical switches from the 1930’s the same brown colour as the door frames, they nevertheless form a harmonious property. This estate bears authentic witness to a country nobility, Breton in this instance, where the variety of social backgrounds are closely linked by the land. Potential buyers will embrace this property just as it is embraced by the village.

268 000 €
Fees at the Vendor’s expense


See the fee rates

Reference 658977

Land registry surface area 8342 m2
Number of bedrooms 3
Main building surface area 208 m2
Outbuilding surface area 150 m2

French Energy Performance Diagnosis

Regional representative


Jérôme Masson +33 1 42 84 80 85

contact

Share

send to a friend Pinterest twitter Facebook

NB: The above information is not only the result of our visit to the property; it is also based on information provided by the current owner. It is by no means comprehensive or strictly accurate especially where surface areas and construction dates are concerned. We cannot, therefore, be held liable for any misrepresentation.

By continuing your navigation, you accept the use of cookies to offer you services and offers adapted to your centers of interest and to measure the frequentation of our services. Learn more