in the midst of a village, 110 km from the French capital in Upper Normandy
Normandy, D-Day, Rouen, Joan of Arc and William the Conqueror come to mind, but the region was not so well-known at the time this manor house was constructed: in the 18th century, Normandy was home to ship owners and large merchant families, whilst in the 19th century it hosted the first French holiday resorts.
In the north-west of France, in Normandy, near to the river Seine, this property nestles in one of the verdant valleys in the area around the historic town of Rouen.
Although the prefecture, its SNCF train station and its universities are 15 km away, market towns with all useful infrastructures are only some 6 or 8 km away. The nearest golf course is 18 km away. The tourist villages of Lyons-la-Forêt, Ry and Vascœuil are but 15 minutes away.
Behind the latter, a vast outbuilding has been converted into a guest house. A wooded area, invisible from the outside and crossed by a bridlepath, is also waiting to be explored. And lastly, a 2-car garage, old horse loose boxes and workshops, as well as an ornamental pond are laid out on the right-hand side of the manor house.
The 18th century manor house
Constructed in 1728, this building was successively lived in during the 18th and the early 19th century by members of the local, middle-classes, including a count and his family. The latter lived here until 1855, prior to the property being sold to an industrialist in 1872. It was also occupied during the Second World War.
Spanning three levels, the facades of this manor house are covered in pinkish-beige cement and white facing. They are topped with a slate roof, featuring three brick chimney stacks as well as two dormers with projecting eaves on the front facade and four on the rear facade. The numerous double-glazed openings are protected by slatted, wooden shutters. A central, triangular pediment featuring two bull’s eye windows crowns the roof on the top floor.
A Victorian veranda, in addition to giving access to the manor, lets residents fully appreciate all four seasons. Two terraces flank two sides of the building.
The house has been completely revamped. The vestibule provides access, on the right-hand side, to a living room, a dining room, with access to a vaulted cellar, as well as to a fully fitted kitchen, leading to the outside. On the left-hand side of said vestibule are two reception rooms, including one featuring a wide, engaged, marble fireplace, with a mirror trumeau, and exposed, white-painted beams. To the rear of the vestibule are a guest toilet and a winding stairway, bearing the patina of time, that goes up to the first floor. Floors are laid with marble or parquet flooring. Recuperated wainscoting as well as stained-glass windows enhance one of the living rooms. The Victorian veranda lets in copious amounts of light that reflects off its floor tiles with their inlaid decoration.
A landing room gives access to four bedrooms, with cupboards, two bathrooms, a shower room, with a power shower, as well as a separate toilet and two rooms, not currently in use. Two of these bedrooms, both enhanced with engaged, marble fireplaces, have balconies with wrought iron railings. Floors are laid with parquet flooring, covered with carpet.
The attic space is laid out as four rooms, one of which is converted into a bedroom, illuminated via a skylight. The other three await conversion.
The guest house
This former outbuilding has been restored as a guest house with a slate roof. Detached, it stands at a slight distance from the main house. Its openings are protected by wooden shutters, with diagonal ties.
Spanning a surface area of approx. 80 m², it comprises two small living rooms, one of which is looked down on by a mezzanine, a kitchen, a bedroom, a shower room and a bathroom. Floors are covered with parquet flooring.
Spanning a surface area of approx. 150 m², these outbuildings comprise four horse loose boxes, a 2-car garage and an additional room, once used as an office.
These parklands, planted with miscellaneous species including sycamore, ash and cedar trees, surround the manor house, whilst mature oak, lime and chestnut trees majestically welcome visitors following the driveway to the buildings. Behind the latter, a section of wooded land is out of sight of onlookers and crossed by a bridlepath.
This property, courtesy of its location near to the prefecture and the Channel as well as its very own history, gives its residents the chance to explore and appreciate Normandy’s little-known heritage. Its somewhat old-fashioned appearance brings to mind the elegant and tranquil way of life of its former residents as they walked in the parklands, took tea or coffee under the Victorian atrium, looked out from the dormers or read by the fireside with a hot chocolate, activities which are all just waiting to be experienced once again.
The interior of the manor house is also full of conversion potential. The imagination of its future owners will, no doubt, find a use for the many rooms still waiting to find out their vocation.
And lastly, the proximity of Rouen and its SNCF train station with links to Paris and the Channel as well as the region’s tourist attraction make it possible to envisage the development of an accommodation or, perhaps, a cultural activity.
|Land registry surface area||15284 m2|
|Main building surface area||292 m2|
|Number of bedrooms||5|
|Outbuilding surface area||150 m2|
Marie Merien +33 1 42 84 80 85
NB: The above information is not only the result of our visit to the property; it is also based on information provided by the current owner. It is by no means comprehensive or strictly accurate especially where surface areas and construction dates are concerned. We cannot, therefore, be held liable for any misrepresentation.