30 minutes from Agen, in the Albret region on the outskirts of the Gers department
Francescas, 27 km from Agen, 25 km from Condom and 8 km from Nérac, is a 12th century village with all amenities. It is geographically in the Albret region, on the border of the French department of Gers, near to the Garonne Valley and on the edge of the Landes forest. Part of Gascony, its history, its gastronomy and its climate makes this character village a wonderful place to live, amidst a network of towns, villages and fortified “bastides”, chateaux, estates and valleys, the beauty of which is never-ending.
The mansion house, with its 1 m thick walls, was built using regional stone in the 18th century for the Knight of Montcalm. Unfortunately, he never had the chance to live here as he died before its construction was completed.
Transformed in the 1980’s into a restaurant, this property became known as “Le Relais de la Hire”, an allusion to Etienne-de-Vignolles, Joan-of-Arc’s faithful companion, nicknamed “La Hire” because of his legendary bad temper.
The mansion house
Reflecting a middle-class style, this stone building spans two levels, comprising professional premises on the ground floor and a private section upstairs.
This mansion house, dating from 1769, has been partially converted into a restaurant. The entrance door opens into a vestibule, spanning approx. 25 m², where a stone stairway, appearing older than the construction date of the house, takes pride of place. This area provides access, on one side, to a large lounge enhanced with a fireplace and, on the other, to a dining room spanning more than 70 m² (3.30 m high ceiling).
Numerous tall openings illuminate these living and reception rooms. Their south-facing aspect and their unobstructed, nuisance-free view guarantee a maximum of sunlight. The remaining 260 m² of the ground floor are taken up by the professional kitchen, composed of areas necessary to the activity, as well as the rooms devoted to the management of the activity such as an office, a laundry room, a larder, a shower room, public and private toilets as well as a wine cellar.
Reached via a monumental stairway, this level is laid out as a private, self-contained flat. The landing, therefore, leads, on one side, to a dining room, with an open-plan kitchen area and a central unit, spanning approx. 33 m² (this room leads to a study area), and, on the other side, to a comfortable lounge, spanning approx. 30 m². A corridor provides access to four bedrooms and two bathrooms.
A second vestibule at the rear of the main building opens on to a patio, flanked by wide, covered terraces which lead to the outbuildings, including a large garage, spanning approx. 60 m², and two barns, spanning a surface area of approx. 65 m² (areas currently used for workshop and storage purposes).
And lastly, a dovecote stands in an enclosed, landscaped garden out of sight of onlookers. Converted into a flat, it can accommodate guests with no loss of privacy.
A renowned establishment for many years, this property will appeal to those seeking premises for a restaurant or catering project, or even a tourist accommodation or function activity, courtesy of its vast reception rooms, its fully fitted professional kitchen, its five bedrooms and its dovecote converted into a flat.
This character property, in an excellent state of repair with numerous assets, will delight and enchant its future owners.
|Land registry surface area||1285 m2|
|Main building surface area||360 m2|
|Outbuilding surface area||120 m2|
|Number of bedrooms||4|
Gaëtan de Laugardière +33 1 42 84 80 85
NB: The above information is not only the result of our visit to the property; it is also based on information provided by the current owner. It is by no means comprehensive or strictly accurate especially where surface areas and construction dates are concerned. We cannot, therefore, be held liable for any misrepresentation.