A large property awaiting renovation, with a sea view,
3 ha of land, olive groves and ornamental pools, in Hyères
Hyères, VAR provence-cote-dazur 83400 FR

Location

The town of Hyères, facing the Iles-d'Or (Porquerolles, Port-Cros and Ile-du-Levant), has the mildest climate in France.
Since 1830 Hyères has become a leading tourist destination and a winter health resort renowned for its spa therapy. It was visited by members of the titled European nobility, notably by the English community who left an architectural mark still to be seen in today’s urban landscape.
This property is a 5-minute drive from Almanarre beach (isthmus of the Giens peninsula), one section of which is reserved for kitesurfing. A TGV train station is but 5 minutes away, as are shops and the motorway; the airport is 10 minutes away.

Description

The oldest building is a farmhouse, dating from 1750. In 1818, a traditional Bastide house was constructed to extend it eastwards and, in 1860, a third building was added to the previous two. The latter comprises a room on the third floor, a belvedere, with a 360° view over the entire region and the sea. These south-east facing buildings, spanning a floor surface area of approx. 830 m², are set out in parklands, formed by wide, terraced areas and two olive groves. A central alleyway divides them into two symmetrical sections, with fountains, ornamental pools and statues (Narcissus and Venus).

The traditional Bastide house and the belvedere

The traditional Bastide house, spanning approx. 485 m² of living space, comes into view on the south side with its rectangular openings aligned on three levels. The central opening on the first floor provides access to a balcony and still has its solid shutters. The other wooden shutters were changed in the past for folding shutters, replacing them with slatted shutters would give the bastide back its characteristic style. The openings on the north and east sides still have their original shutters and, some of them, have geometric, green glazed tile surrounds, with imitation balconies, featuring balusters and sculpted stone motifs. The section comprising the belvedere includes an additional opening on the facade, whilst inside, the belvedere and bastide now form a single home, where all the south-facing rooms are enhanced with different, original fireplaces, featuring coloured, glazed decorative tiles.


Ground floor
The main entrance is in the centre of the bastide’s south-east facade. It is topped with a balcony, surrounded by wrought iron railings and supported by four columns with capitals. The wrought iron door is arched and the year 1818 is engraved in the stone just above it. A vestibule, where every door is topped with a stucco medallion featuring cherub motifs, leads to another entrance door on the north side. This heavy wooden door is topped with an arched fanlight, decorated with wrought iron and engraved with the monogram of Louis-Arène, ancestor of the current owners. It has a stone surround, crowned with a lintel, sculpted with a central mascaron and motifs of garlands and fruit. On the east side of the entrance hall, a large, bright lounge, with four openings, takes up the south-east corner. Another small room could be used as a cloakroom. A dining room and a small cosy lounge share the south-facing openings, whilst the north section is taken up by a corridor providing access to a toilet as well as a laundry room and ending in a through, north-south-facing kitchen, adjoining two back kitchens. All the ceilings in the main rooms on this level are painted with miscellaneous, coloured motifs. The floors are laid with terracotta tiles, cement tiles, tiles with inlaid decoration or parquet flooring, whilst all the lounges and the dining room have different fireplaces.
First floor
A completely wooden stairway, exuding the air of an English manor house, goes upstairs. The floors on this level are covered with hexagonal terracotta tiles. All the ceilings are painted with coloured, floral or geometric motifs. Three bedrooms, with fireplaces, face south. The one on the south-east side has its own bathroom. Another bedroom faces north, overlooking the olive grove. The section laid out above the entrance hall is divided into a large landing-study on the north side and a bathroom on the south side, the latter opening on to the large balcony in the centre of the house. This level also includes a toilet and a bathroom, with ecru-coloured floor tiles, inlaid with blue decoration.
Second floor
The stairway goes up to a large landing. The floors are covered with terracotta tiles. A bedroom, with a fireplace, faces south. On the west side of the building are a shower room and a toilet. Two bedrooms on the south side, one of which has a fireplace; an east-facing bedroom with a shower; another on the north side with a wash-hand basin.
Third floor
With terracotta tile steps and wooden nosing, a little, spiral stairway goes up to the belvedere, a room with twelve windows (three on each side) which provide a 360° panoramic view over the sea and the hillside. Its ceiling is painted with a floral motif.

The two flats and the outbuildings

The building adjoins the habitable section on the west side.
The ground floor is taken up by two garages, a large room and two smaller ones.
The upstairs comprises two independent, through, north-south-facing flats, with outside stairways. One, spanning approx. 55 m², is fully renovated and comprises a large room, with a kitchen area, a north-facing bedroom, a south-facing bedroom and a shower room with a toilet. A covered loggia, spanning approx. 30 m², is in a verdant setting next to the entrance door, with a view of the ornamental pool, adorned with a statue of Venus.
The other, 60 m² flat awaits renovation. The stairway goes up to a little terrace, in front of the entrance door, with a view of the oldest olive trees. It comprises a living room, with a kitchen, a bedroom, a shower room with a toilet and an adjoining attic which could be converted.
A small dovecote with glazed tiles, reflecting green hues, is set between the two flats.

The grounds

The grounds, spanning almost three hectares and also awaiting renovation, are in a green-belt area. Sloping gently, they are planted with some seventy olive trees, divided between two olive groves. Their harvest means that the owners can go to the mill and collect their own oil. One olive grove is very old and features some magnificent specimens. The other is more recent with beautifully healthy trees. A tennis court adjoins the olive trees. On a higher level are the ruins of a sheepfold. The lower section is formed from wide, flat terraced areas, the walls of which protect numerous bitter orange trees. There are also some umbrella pine, cypress and fig trees. They could be replanted with vines as well as olive or fruit trees. The parklands were created in a partially symmetrical manner, with an entrance alleyway separating the southern grounds into two equal parts, two matching, ornamental pools, one topped with a statue of Narcissus and the other a statue of Venus. Another three ornamental pools are dotted around the property, together with five wells, one of which is fed by a spring. The terrace laid out in front of the house is enhanced with a double row of plane trees, whilst on a lower level reached via a dual stairway, an old palm grove still includes some beautiful trees. A small wooded section, known locally as “La Tèse”, was used in bygone days for catching birds in nets. Behind the house, a stone arch that once housed gates forms a second entrance.

Our opinion

It is rare to find such a vast estate awaiting renovation so near to the beach and other amenities. Protected from the Mistral winds by a hill, this property is a green open space, set between town and sea, that should be preserved. Queen Victoria, coming to the golf course at the foot of the terraced areas, asked to cross the parklands, proof of the splendour of this estate at that time. In thanks, she gave the owners her portrait and her recipe for marmalade. Originally a family home, this property could be used for receiving the public (a second back entrance is very useful). Future owners will greatly appreciate the spacious rooms and the painted ceilings in the belvedere as well as in all the rooms on the ground and first floors. The olive oil from the garden will add a flavour of the premises to the dishes.

2 612 500 € Negotiation fees included
2 500 000 € Fees excluded
4.5% TTC at the expense of the purchaser


See the fee rates

Reference 869472

Land registry surface area 2 ha 87 a 86 ca
Main building surface area 580 m2
Outbuilding surface area 255 m2
Number of bedrooms 13

French Energy Performance Diagnosis

Regional representative


Fabienne Pillard +33 1 42 84 80 85

contact

Share

send to a friend Pinterest linkedin Facebook

NB: The above information is not only the result of our visit to the property; it is also based on information provided by the current owner. It is by no means comprehensive or strictly accurate especially where surface areas and construction dates are concerned. We cannot, therefore, be held liable for any misrepresentation.

By continuing your navigation, you accept the use of cookies to offer you services and offers adapted to your centers of interest and to measure the frequentation of our services. Learn more