An 1855, former, small farmhouse, its outbuildings and its enclosed garden,
just 1¼ hours from Paris in the north of the Yonne department
Sens, YONNE burgundy 89100 FR

Location

In the north of the French department of Yonne, 120 km from Paris, 12 km from Sens and 40 km from Fontainebleau, where the borders of the Champagne-Senonaise and Burgundy regions meet, the village of Thorigny-sur-Oreuse has a rich heritage with churches, wash-houses and chapels in a rural setting, alternating woods and fields. The administrative centre for the “canton”, the village has everyday shops and amenities.
Paris is but some 2 hours away by car courtesy of the A5 motorway and an hour by train from Sens.

Description

This property was once a small farmhouse, constructed in 1855. Standing on one of the village’s main streets, it has a double, road and garden, aspect, enabling it to enjoy village life as well as the tranquillity of a private home. A set of wooden carriage gates, each featuring a pedestrian gate, opens into a passageway going through the house to the garden, shielded from noise and onlookers. The property is marked by brick, the colours, red, white and blue, as well as 2-sloped roofs covered with tiles.
Three old outbuildings border the garden, spanning approx. 750 m². They are currently used for storage purposes.

The house

Constructed over cellars in 1855, this 2-storey house features inward-opening, wooden-framed windows, with light blue shutters. Its roof is covered with Burgundy tiles. On the road side, red brick quoins and surrounds framing the openings bestow the building with a special geometrical and symmetrical air that contrasts with the white rendering of the walls. Wrought iron railings adorn all the windows except for that above the front door which features a small balcony. The more sober, garden facade is organised in a more random manner with two Velux skylights. Almost all of the inside has been renovated.


Ground floor
The front door opens into a vast living room, with grey stone floor tiles. One section of the ceiling features exposed beams. A closed-hearth fire is housed in the fireplace, backing on to a wall, with its beam mantel and coloured stone jambs. The grey, the beige and the red brick are reminiscent of the building’s external facades. A straight, wooden stairway goes upstairs. A modern, fitted kitchen, with its wide picture window overlooking the garden, communicates with the living room. A flight of steps covered by a veranda goes down to the garden. A toilet and a shower room complete the ground floor.
First floor
Upstairs are three spacious bedrooms as well as a bathroom. Old, hexagonal terracotta tiles cover the floors. Beams are exposed and the windows let in copious amounts of light. This is, without doubt, the most authentic and least renovated floor.
Second floor
The old attic was converted some ten years ago. It is reached via a straight stairway going up to a spacious landing, leading to a bedroom, on one side, and a study, on the other. Skylights make it possible to appreciate the view over the surrounding countryside and over the Burgundy tile roofs, whilst letting a great deal of light into the study. The floors are laid with strip pattern parquet flooring and the roofing framework, with its main and tie beams as well as its splines, etc., has been left exposed.
Cellar
The garden gives access to a few steps leading to the various cellars running under the entire house. With vaulted walls and concrete floors, they are sound and ventilated on both sides.
Outbuilding
Three buildings border the garden. They respectively span surface areas of approx. 25, 50 and 40 m². They are in a good general state of repair and are currently used for storage purposes. The biggest has wooden flooring on the first floor and a tile roof that was recently redone.
Garden
Extending longwise and planted with fruit trees, the garden contains a central, stone well, a concrete fence as well as old ornamental features. Its layout makes it ideal for those seeking not only to relax and accommodate children’s games, but also to indulge in gardening activities, and possibly create a vegetable garden.

Our opinion

This old, small farmhouse is double, courtesy of its aspect and its history. It is set between the village way of life, on the road side, and the privacy of a private home, on the garden side. This 19th century house, even now, still has its bricks, its terracotta tiles on the first floor and its facades, whilst being almost entirely renovated on the inside. Its advantage as a house lies paradoxically in its soberness: no decor nor embellishment, vast open areas, cleverly contrasted colours in places and outstanding luminosity: its five bedrooms are ready and waiting to receive the personal touches of new owners. The way is open for the creation of a welcoming, comfortable home.

Exclusive sale

320 000 €
Fees at the Vendor’s expense


See the fee rates

Reference 989139

Land registry surface area 750 m2
Main building surface area 160 m2
Number of bedrooms 4
Outbuilding surface area 160 m2

French Energy Performance Diagnosis

Consultant


Yves Delloye +33 1 42 84 80 85

contact

Share

send to a friend Pinterest linkedin Facebook

NB: The above information is not only the result of our visit to the property; it is also based on information provided by the current owner. It is by no means comprehensive or strictly accurate especially where surface areas and construction dates are concerned. We cannot, therefore, be held liable for any misrepresentation.

By continuing your navigation, you accept the use of cookies to offer you services and offers adapted to your centers of interest and to measure the frequentation of our services. Learn more