in a village at the foot of Alsace’s Bastberg Hill
In the French region of Alsace, a little more than 30 minutes from Strasbourg. It is easily reached as it is only 10 minutes from the A4 motorway going towards Paris.
In the Hanau area, where lush green countryside still has its age-old traditions, where picturesque villages are surrounded by abundant gardens and orchards. “What a beautiful garden!” exclaimed Louis XIV on discovering the plain of Alsace 350 years ago.
Near to the historic town that once belonged to the counts of Hanau-Lichtenberg which still has local shops and amenities. In the heart of a traditional village nestling at the foot of the mythical Bastberg Hill.
This house is typical of the rural architecture that exists in the Hanau area. Like “Schini” houses, it has a south-facing gable featuring a carved wooden balcony with corbelling.
The masonry on the ground floor is lime-rendered. Pink sandstone forms the framing surrounding the windows.
The half-timbered upper level comprises two different styles along its length, indicating that the house was constructed in two stages; initially in the 17th century and then in the 18th century. The entire building is topped with a gable roof, covered with Alsatian tiles, known as “Biberschwanz” (beaver tail) adorned with small shed dormers.
It is extended by the old wine-making storeroom which has two arched doors on the ground floor, constructed from dressed stone, as well as a loggia upstairs which is constructed from half-timbering. Said half-timbering features traditional motifs representing strength and fertility. The dated keystones are engrave with the names of the constructors just like the lower carved truss beam of the balustrade: “DIESEN BAU HAT GEBAUT ANNA KATHARINA WOLF UND IHR SOHN JOHANNES WOLF 1850” (This building was constructed by Anna-Katharina-Wolf and her son Jean-Wolf in 1850).
The entire farmhouse has been tastefully restored using traditional methods as well as good quality, natural materials.
The ground surface area of 250 m² is divided into two sections; one is private and the other is used for a bed & breakfast activity. Although connected, both have their own separate entrances.
In the private section, the entrance hall provides access to a living room, a kitchen and the stairway going upstairs. The living room, called “STUBE” in Alsatian, still has a double wooden alcove with its clock, and a rare cast iron wood-burning stove, known locally as “BUMERHOFE”. The kitchen has an eating area as well as a preparation area with a central unit and a very high ceiling. It provides direct access outside to the vegetable garden, following on from the back garden.
The entrance hall also provides access to a large guest dining room with its “KACHELHOFFE”, a white ceramic Alsatian wood-burning stove, and its terracotta floor tiles. It is followed by a lounge-bar, with an open fireplace and stone floor tiles. Next is a reception area with bathroom and toilet facilities as well as the stairway leading to the guest bedrooms.
In the private section, a large bedroom, a study, a bathroom as well as linen and laundry rooms, connected to the guest section. The converted attic space comprises two superb bedrooms, one of which has a mezzanine, and a shower room.
In the guest section is a first suite, with a large bedroom, a small bedroom and shower room. A second suite has a living room, a toilet and a shower room. In the converted attic space are two superb bedrooms and a toilet.
The impressive barn, spanning a ground surface area of 400 m², is constructed from stone and half-timbering, predominantly using oak wood. Overlooking both the courtyard, via its large carriage doors, and the garden, it exudes great potential. The half-timbering, featuring symbolic motifs, is also engraved with “DIESE SCHEUER HAT GEBAUT ANNA KATHARINA WOLF IM JAHR ANNO 1852” (This barn was constructed by Anna-Katharina-Wolf in 1852).
The section of the barn adjoining the house comprises a boiler room and other machine rooms on the ground floor. Upstairs, an area which has been designed for another suite, awaits conversion works.
The outbuilding with a gallery
A 36 m long outbuilding stands facing the house. Its dressed stone ground floor houses cowsheds, stables and a pigsty. Its half-timbered upstairs, with its gallery featuring balusters, bears witness to the wealth of this farmstead. Comprising a room for the farm’s groom, it also spans a large surface area awaiting conversion.
The porch-building, known as “DURCHFUR” in Alsatian, closes the courtyard on the fourth side. Also constructed from dressed stone on the ground floor and half-timbering upstairs, it features two large ground floor rooms and large floor surfaces areas on the first floor.
This group of buildings, in the Alsace region where tradition is still very much a part of everyday life and where the countryside is never far from the town, were constructed between the 17th and 19th centuries and, together, form a summary of local architectural history.
The farmhouse has been restored over the last ten years using period materials courtesy of the unfailing commitment of a couple of enthusiasts. The outbuildings now await similar works, carried out in accordance with good trade practices. The privacy created by the general layout of the buildings is that suited to a hotel and catering activity. The stylistic authenticity is ageless such that this property can but appeal at first glance.
|Land registry surface area||3134 m2|
|Main building surface area||400 m2|
|Number of bedrooms||8|
Jean-Christophe Brua +33 1 42 84 80 85
NB: The above information is not only the result of our visit to the property; it is also based on information provided by the current owner. It is by no means comprehensive or strictly accurate especially where surface areas and construction dates are concerned. We cannot, therefore, be held liable for any misrepresentation.