105 km from Paris in the French department of Oise
This property, set in the midst of Breteuil in the French department of Oise, is part of the town’s history. In fact, the same Cappronnier family was the region’s main trader in wines and spirits from the 19th century through to 1992. It was in 1867 that Louis-Philippe-Crépin-Cappronnier decided to build both a family home and a wine storehouse. The wine trading activity is no longer in existence but the sign still takes pride of place on the facade.
All amenities (shops, all state and private schools and a cinema) are within walking distance of this central address. This little town exudes true Picardy character. And yet, the rest of world is within easy reach: it is 1 hour 20 minutes from Paris via the A16 motorway or 1 hour 10 minutes via the train. Beauvais airport is 25 minutes away and that of Charles-de-Gaulle just an hour away.
The facade’s architecture is classical for a mid-19th century residence. Seven bays, marked in the centre by two pilasters alternating brick and stone, surround the carriage gates. The windows, with stone surrounds, have straight lintels on the ground floor and semi-circular arched lintels on the first floor. Light-coloured, slatted shutters enhance the brick facade. And lastly, a cornice running the width of the building embellishes a lovely entablature. The slate roof features roof dormers that illuminate the attic. The overall elegance of the building is indeed that of a large, luxurious home.
Double, wrought wood, glazed doors opening on to the inner courtyard are enhanced with classical motifs, in particular with open-mouthed fauns’ heads in their upper section. They open into a vestibule, with a mosaic floor, housing a large, central, wooden stairway, the handrails of which end in two copper balls. On one side is a dining room, with parquet flooring and a black marble fireplace. Following on is a lounge, with another fireplace, made of veined marble in brown hues. On the other side of the vestibule, a particularly bright kitchen opens into the inner courtyard. A study and a veranda complete the ground floor.
The landing room provides access to seven bedrooms, one of which, spanning a floor surface area of 28 m², was used at one time as a lounge. This level has old parquet flooring throughout. Each bedroom has a marble fireplace.
The attic, spanning the full floor surface area of the house, completes the residence. It is illuminated via roof dormers and features, in particular, a bedroom, with sloping ceilings and a wardrobe.
The wine storehouse
Beyond the house, numerous outbuildings include storage areas, a covered area, stables, a workshop and a boiler room, all dating from the 19th century. The warehouse, initially qualified as a “shop” is a unique example of the north of France’s wine-producing architecture. The ground floor housed casks and barrels of wines from all the regions of France as well as from Spain and Algeria. The attic which tops the ground floor is itself crowned with a wooden rooflight, the two oculi of which, now glazed, originally featured wooden slats intended to provide ventilation for the barrels of alcohol. The ornate facade decoration comprise small kegs sculpted above the doors, a modillion course under the cornice, a classical broken pediment, a strong contrast between the red and ivory colours as well as an inscription of the same name, set between the two pilasters. As for the roofing framework, it stands out because of its extremely elegant structure which is devoid of pillars, whilst the ground floor features wooden pillars supporting the brick interjoists.
The garden, reached via a little lane that runs alongside the wine storehouse and the stable, is set out around an old fir tree and is enclosed by brick walls. This town garden, out of sight of onlookers, is currently overgrown but given its aspect could become a rose or vegetable garden.
The warehouse’s wooden roofing framework is engraved with the year 1868. An ever-present veranda was constructed in 1912 with atrium windows, featuring decoration painted by Georges-Vaconsin, a local painter. These vestiges are concrete proof of the property’s authentic, quite exceptional character. The wine storehouse is, furthermore, listed as a French Historic Monument. This property, combining a home with professional premises, is rare as it forms a coherent living area from the time of Napoleon III that is still intact, even though 1970’s wallpaper provides the main house with a retro and pop modernity. New owners appreciating such an atmosphere will be able to bring the property’s charisma to the fore. Although these buildings date from the 19th century, they are more than able to accommodate a 21st century project, making the most of the advantages of the town and the country without any of the disadvantages. Anything is possible and the same new owners will be able to give free rein to their imaginations in the wine storehouse, turning it into a unique co-working area, a third place or even an artist residency.
|Land registry surface area||1210 m2|
|Main building surface area||233 m2|
|Outbuilding surface area||387 m2|
|Number of bedrooms||6|
Jérôme Ferchaud +33 1 42 84 80 85
NB: The above information is not only the result of our visit to the property; it is also based on information provided by the current owner. It is by no means comprehensive or strictly accurate especially where surface areas and construction dates are concerned. We cannot, therefore, be held liable for any misrepresentation.