Legal Informations & CGU
In the north of Burgundy, less than 3 hours from Paris and Lyon by car, Paris-Rhône TGV train link, Montbard and Dijon stations, Dijon-Longvic airport. The castle is set on an undulating plain, built in the heart of 24 ha (59 acres) of parklands with deciduous trees of over one hundred years old, meadows and gentle slopes. The main façade of the castle overlooks the surrounding countryside, giving an unobstructed view.
The origins of this majestic property date back to the 15th century: a castle built during this era, more recent outbuildings adjoining the older outbuildings: a house next to the castle, a caretaker’s cottage, a pavilion at the entrance to the parklands and a farm with buildings such as a barn as well as a former wash-house. All of which faces 24 ha (59 acres) of parklands that are completely enclosed by means of high and low walls as well as quickset hedges. The parklands are crisscrossed with paths and driveways for moving around, the meadows are enclosed by natural hedges, thus creating typically French, “bocage” countryside.
Amongst this multitude of buildings, the actual castle was built in the 15th century by a man born into the Burgundian aristocracy. This patron of the arts commissioned this castle with its main facade, its two octagonal towers, its mullioned windows, its ogee doors, its monumental fireplaces and its steep slate roofs.
In the 16th century, it underwent a significant transformation and in June 1595 welcomed Henri IV King of France following his Fontaine-Française victory. At the time the castle was a large main building with two panelled and gilded guard’s rooms, bedrooms and a chapel.
The latter, dedicated to Saint Pierre, Saint Denis and Sainte Reine, was consecrated on 6 November 1610.
The rooms throughout the castle from the French ceilings to the walls are all painted. The wainscoting is also outstanding. The large ground floor lounges with impressive period fireplaces comprise character scenes, the walls are adorned with tracery and gilded letters, making reference to the Seigneurs of these premises. A large gallery of close to 38 metres long on the first floor forms a line of carved doors alternating with large backed canvasses reflecting the exploits of the lords of the manor.
In the 17th century, the property was sold to the first President of the Burgundy Parliament; he was succeeded by the Marchioness of Choiseul in 1740.The castle passed into other hands in the 18th century as a result of the marriage of the last of the Marchioness’ descendents. In 1844, the owner had major renovation works carried out, making use of the architect Charles Suisse and the sculptor Schanosky. Both are references in the history of Burgundian architecture, the first directed the restoration of Dijon’s Saint-Bénigne Cathedral. The second is known for his restoration of Stephen Liégard’s castle and the sculptures of the “Romanesque house” in the “Rue des Forges”. In the castle, he was notably responsible for the oak woodwork in the gallery, the first floor bedrooms and the chapel.
At the end of the 19th century, the paintings from Henri IV’s bedroom were renovated by the master, L B Vernachet. It is from this era that the current gilding dates, 14,200 sheets of bright yellow gold, green gold and platinum were used (hence the green bedroom nickname).
Outside, the castle gardens and parklands were designed by Friant and Buhler, the later also worked on Stephen Liégard’s castle. It was therefore a well-known team that worked in the castle, bringing it to its current state. Consequently, the building is as it was at the end of the 19th century.
The castle is situated in a wonderful, undulating peaceful setting. Its vast parklands span 24 continuous ha (59 acres) with unobstructed views across the countryside. The number of buildings and their size create an impressive estate. This castle is significant not only because of its history but also because of its surface area, approx. 1,500 m² (16,145 sq ft) with outbuildings of more than 880 m² (9,472 sq ft). Two houses, in addition to the castle, can be lived in and a third (entrance pavilion) can be used as a guest house. The ground floor rooms of the main building are richly decorated; the painted ceilings, the fireplace trumeaux and the doors, nothing is left to chance. The decorated chapel is one of the most outstanding features actually inside the castle with its painted vaults, its woodwork, its wooden carvings, its altar, its furnishings. It is also of an exceptional size for a private chapel.
The property could be developed even further, notably the fifteen or so rooms on the top floor of the castle which deserve to be properly renovated, especially if a commercial activity is to be envisaged.
2 625 000 €
Honoraires à la charge du vendeur
Voir le Barème d'Honoraires
Michel Monot       +33 1 42 84 80 85
This property has been added to My favourites
This property has been deleted from My favourites
NB: The above information is not only the result of our visit to the property; it is also based on information provided by the current owner. It is by no means comprehensive or strictly accurate especially where surface areas and construction dates are concerned. We cannot, therefore, be held liable for any misrepresentation.
À Paris et en Ile-de-France
Prix de vente au-delà de 600 000 euros 5% TTC*
Prix de vente de 400 000 à 600 000 euros 6% TTC*
Prix de vente de 200 000 À 400 000 euros 7% TTC*
Prix de vente jusqu'à 200 000 euros 9% TTC*
Honoraires à la charge du Vendeur
Prix de vente au-delà de 500 000 euros 6% TTC*
Prix de vente jusqu'à 500 000 euros 30 000 Euros TTC* (forfait)
Honoraires à la charge du Vendeur
Avis de valeur argumenté : 1 800 Euros TTC*
Expertise à partir de 2 400 Euros TTC*
Les tarifs des expertises sont communiqués sur devis personnalisé établi sur la base d’un taux horaire moyen de 120 Euros TTC*
*TTC : TVA incluse au taux de 20 %