between the Lorraine and Champagne-Ardenne regions and Belgium
250 km from Paris, 200 km from Brussels and 90 km from Luxemburg.
A natural region with a good balance between deep forests and lush grasslands, undulating scenery with the Meuse winding through it, an outstanding natural heritage enhanced by its Natura 2000 classification.
Traditionally hunting and fishing grounds, these wide open, unspoilt spaces are ideal for a wide variety of outdoor leisure activities.
Away from all nuisances, it has two entrances. The main, tree-lined driveway provides an initial glimpse of the vast parklands in front of the residence, whereas the second driveway, at the back of the house, runs alongside the caretaker’s cottage.
The parklands are pleasantly divided between woods, grasslands and orchards. They form a natural, easy to maintain estate. A narrow, delightful, forest path makes its slightly undulating way around the property.
In a dominant position and known locally as “the castle”, this residence was built of quarry blocks and dressed stone between 1563 and 1565.
Originally a stronghold house intended for defensive purposes, this impressive, squat, L-shaped building spans two floors built over cellars, topped with a steep slate, sprocket roof featuring roof dormers. It is extended by a lower outbuilding, the original openings of which evoke a somewhat religious style.
A 3-sided pavilion was constructed in the corner of the “L” in the 19th century to make it easier to move between the two wings. Built of brick and dressed stone, it adds a touch of charm to the previously austere building.
The building obviously has several entrances, but the most elegant is in the central pavilion. It is tiled in a black and white chessboard pattern and houses an oak wood stairway with wrought iron railings.
An internal window acts as a reminder of the house’s original limits.
This is followed by a spacious 100 m² gallery that leads to the reception rooms which include a large and a small lounge, a study and a billiards’ area.
These south-facing rooms with their oak wood floorboards are elegant and luminous. A balcony overlooks the parklands. Fireplaces, all in good working order and with marble mantelpieces, constitute the only form of heating despite the fact that a central heating system has been installed.
The dining room, in the other wing, also has parquet flooring and a fireplace with a wooden mantelpiece. It communicates with a pantry and a large, 30 m² kitchen.
This more rustic room still has its large, Lorraine-style fireplace and its stone sink.
At the two ends of the residence are a storeroom, an old greenhouse and a garage as well as a room used for butchering big game.
Three stairways lead up to the first floor which is roughly laid out in the same way as the ground floor: the gallery in the south wing provides access to five first bedrooms and a bathroom as well as to a theatre located above the garage and the greenhouse.
The other wing includes three bedrooms and a bathroom.
This floor still has some interesting architectural features such as windows with casement bolts, marble fireplaces, panelling and alcoves. Most of them communicate with private toilets.
The attic on the second floor features an exposed roofing framework in a good state of repair. It could easily be converted into living rooms or a variety of workshops.
This cottage has its own entrance making it independent and totally respectful of the residence’s privacy.
It corresponds to the property’s former farmhouse and spans a floor surface area of approx. 200 m², comprising three bedrooms, a dining room, a kitchen and a bathroom as well as two garages. The attic space is converted.
Many are the events that have taken place since the 16th century on this site, headquarters of the Marquis-de-Fabert in 1654. The young Louis XIV is also said to have paid him a visit during an inspection of the troops. Bernardin-de-Saint-Pierre is meant to have begun writing “Paul-et-Virginie” here. It was also the German headquarters during the Second World War.
The most touching feature unquestionably remains the pencil marks on the bathroom wall, showing the children’s changing heights and bearing witness to the generations that have succeeded one another.
|Land registry surface area||11 ha 63 a 3 ca|
|Main building surface area||700 m2|
|Outbuilding surface area||250 m2|
North & West Marne and East Aube department
Florence Fornara +33 1 42 84 80 85
NB: The above information is not only the result of our visit to the property; it is also based on information provided by the current owner. It is by no means comprehensive or strictly accurate especially where surface areas and construction dates are concerned. We cannot, therefore, be held liable for any misrepresentation.