in the north of Burgundy
Less than 3 hours from Paris and Lyon by car, Paris-Rhône TGV train link, Montbard and Dijon train stations, Dijon-Longvic airport.
The main building was built in the 15th century by a man born into the Burgundian aristocracy. This patron of the arts commissioned this castle with its main facade, its two octagonal towers, its mullioned windows, its ogee doors, its monumental fireplaces and its steep slate roofs. In the 16th century, it underwent a significant transformation and in June 1595 welcomed Henri IV King of France and Navarra, following his Fontaine-Française victory. At the time the castle was a large main building with two panelled and gilded guard’s rooms, bedrooms and a chapel, of an exceptional size worthy of a castle, with painted vaults and wooden sculptures; the altar and furniture are still intact and present. The latter, dedicated to Saint Pierre, Saint Denis and Sainte Reine, was consecrated on 6 November 1610. In the 17th century, the property was sold to the first President of the Burgundy Parliament; he was succeeded by the Marchioness of Choiseul in 1740. The castle passed into other hands in the 18th century as a result of the marriage of the last of the Marchioness’ descendants. In 1844, the owner had major renovation works carried out, making use of architect, Charles-Suisse and sculptor, Schanosky. Both are references in the history of Burgundian architecture. The first directed the restoration of Dijon’s Saint-Bénigne Cathedral. The second is known for his restoration of Stephen Liégard’s castle and the sculptures of the “Romanesque house” in Rue-des-Forges. In the castle, he was notably responsible for the oak woodwork in the gallery, the first-floor bedrooms and the chapel. At the end of the 19th century, the paintings from Henri IV’s bedroom were renovated by the master, L-B-Vernachet. It is from this era that the current gilding dates, 14,200 sheets of bright yellow gold, green gold and platinum were used (hence the green bedroom nickname). Outside, the castle gardens and parklands were designed by Friant and Buhler, the latter having also worked on Stephen-Liégard’s chateau. It was therefore a well-known team that worked in the castle and gave it is current appearance.
The rooms throughout the castle are all painted, from the French ceilings to the walls. The wainscoting, the ceiling panelling, the door and window frames as well as the parquet flooring are also outstanding. The large ground floor lounges, with impressive period fireplaces, comprise character scenes. The walls are adorned with tracery and gilded letters, making reference to the Seigneurs of these premises.
A large gallery, almost 38 metres long, provides access to a row of carved doors alternating with large backed canvasses reflecting the exploits of the lords of the manor.
A journey through time from the 15th century to the middle of the 19th century. The quality of this property is clearly obvious in every section, whether dating from the 15th or 19th century. The state of preservation and maintenance is worthy of respect and has made it possible to preserve an authenticity which is now particularly rare because of the range of eras involved. The composition of the property and the upkeep of the parklands meet the highest of expectations. The main house itself could be turned into a museum. Fifteen rooms on the top floor could be renovated. Or undergo a minimum of maintenance to ensure that, above all, nothing is changed and that this little architectural monument is preserved.
|Land registry surface area||24 ha|
|Main building surface area||1500 m2|
|Outbuilding surface area||880 m2|
|Number of bedrooms||8|
Michel Monot +33 1 42 84 80 85
NB: The above information is not only the result of our visit to the property; it is also based on information provided by the current owner. It is by no means comprehensive or strictly accurate especially where surface areas and construction dates are concerned. We cannot, therefore, be held liable for any misrepresentation.