An 18th century chateau and its outbuildings, set between meadows, forest and lake
in the centre of France, near to Tronçais Forest and Moulins
Moulins, ALLIER auvergne 02160 FR

Location

This provincial area, bordering the frontiers of the Auvergne, Berry and Burgundy regions, has a mild climate due to the effect of the westerly winds.
This chateau stands in the midst of Bourbonnais bocage countryside, near to the town of Moulins and the spa resort of Bourbon-l'Archambault.
Slip roads for the A77 motorway are some 10 km away as is a train station with 3-hour links to Paris-Bercy.

Description

Boasting a pure Regency style, this chateau was constructed at the very beginning of the reign of Louis XV in 1730. A chestnut tree-lined driveway leads to a vast, main courtyard. The chateau, its two wings and its separate outbuildings are set out in a quadrilateral around this courtyard. The main, 2-storey building, with its slightly protruding central bay, is aligned with 18 openings. The local brick used in the construction gives the buildings a red-ochre hue, other hues forming geometric patterns, the quoins and the string courses. The top of the garden facade features a clock. The chapel, with its restored bell-tower, and the dovecote, with its polychrome bricks, close the right and left wings, their curved shapes breaking the rectilinear aspect of the property. The main building is topped with a lightwell which is visible from the outside like a belvedere and actually illuminates the upstairs vestibule. It gives the building a pyramid shape. There are six outbuildings, all separate from one another and built around the courtyard.
The polychrome brick walls and roofs of the outbuildings are in a good state of repair. They comprise vast stables and garages. Some have been converted, others await conversion. One of them has been transformed into a large function room.
Characteristic of the brick heritage in the Bourbonnais region and representative of a neo-classical decor rarely found in these lands, this chateau is listed as a French Historic Monument. Its full protection, providing all the associated advantages, including the possibility of obtaining subsidies to cover up to 85% of any works (State, Region, Department).

The chateau

This chateau is composed of a central, rectangular building with two lateral wings. The polychrome brick used for its construction enhances the facade which features numerous windows. An original clock sounds the hours. The chateau looks out over a main courtyard, delimited by its outbuildings and spanning a hectare. On the garden side, the chateau has a view of a vast, game-filled forest, with a lake, and parklands, planted with trees hundreds of years old.
The chateau long belonged to the Cadier family.
This family of Bourbon barons and officers owned mansion houses in Moulins as well as Veauce castle and its lands. In 1692, Michel-Cadier purchased Saint-Augustin-et-Veauce castle and took over the associated rights. He added a chapel in 1704, with a bell featuring the family coat-of-arms (blue background with a yellow stag’s head bearing 10 tines). His son, Gilbert demolished the feudal castle and rebuilt a Regency style chateau and hunting lodge in 1730. This chateau included 4,000 ha of forests, a mill, a tile production plant, estates and rental properties. Then, by marriage, it became the property of Count Chaillon-de-Joinville who restored and modernised it in a neo-classical style. The dining room was decorated by the famous architects, Percier and Fontaine. The Italian and landscaped style gardens were the work of landscape gardener, Lalos.
Count Chaillon-de-Joinville’s son being childless, the chateau went to his niece Marie-de-Rolland who left all her possessions to her goddaughter, Ludmila-Olivier in 1916.
In 2003, the estate was sold to a descendant of Michel-Cadier.


Ground floor
A hall, housing a wooden, dual flight stairway, opens into a vestibule which provides access, on one side, to a dining room and, on the other, to a large lounge. The latter leads, in turn, to a small lounge and a library. The dining room gives access to some smaller rooms, including one currently in use as a kitchen. The dining room also leads to the left wing of the chateau, which comprises a pantry, a kitchen and a back kitchen, all accessed via a long corridor. The lounge gives access to the right wing of the chateau which historically included accommodation for the chaplain. The walls in the lounges and the library are lined with panelling. They are painted with imitation marble trompe-l'œil in the dining room. The floor tiles, featuring inlaid decoration, are made of Volvic and Burgundy stone in the vestibule and are followed by terrazzo flooring in the dining room. Such floors are rare, even unique in the local area. The lounge has herringbone pattern parquet flooring.
First floor
A landing at the top of the stairway, opening into a room with a lightwell, provides access to the rest of the floor. Straight on, a vast main bedroom features a balcony overlooking the garden; on the right-hand side, a corridor provides access to the other bedrooms. The left-hand side has a similar layout. Floors are covered with small, hexagonal terracotta tiles or parquet flooring. These bedrooms, all let as guest bedrooms, boast a marked historic character. They are decorated with panelling, overdoors, trumeaux and walls lined with damask fabrics.
Group of buildings
A total of six buildings, with roof dormers, tile roofs and polychrome brick walls. These once formed the chateau’s outbuildings comprising stables, barns and sheds used for various purposes.

Our opinion

This chateau stands out courtesy of its great unity of style, resulting from the works carried out in 1821. Its main courtyard is highly impressive and it is possible to imagine people, hunting parties and their horses getting ready for and returning from hunts, the chateau at that time being the seat of a property spanning thousands of hectares of forest. Nowadays, it gives the impression of being a sort of eternal fiefdom, still protected by its 15 ha of land and the proximity of a vast, game-filled forest which, on the garden side, forms an astonishing, wild-looking hunting landscape, with deer ever visible. Its central location in the country and its ease of access make this an ideal place for people from various horizons, with the possibility of being able to purchase land adjoining the property at a later date.

1 986 000 €
Fees at the Vendor’s expense


See the fee rates

Reference 816907

Land registry surface area 15 ha 60 a
Main building surface area 920 m2
Number of bedrooms 6

Regional representative


Claire Elie +33 1 42 84 80 85

contact

Share

send to a friend Pinterest linkedin Facebook

NB: The above information is not only the result of our visit to the property; it is also based on information provided by the current owner. It is by no means comprehensive or strictly accurate especially where surface areas and construction dates are concerned. We cannot, therefore, be held liable for any misrepresentation.

By continuing your navigation, you accept the use of cookies to offer you services and offers adapted to your centers of interest and to measure the frequentation of our services. Learn more