A listed, Renaissance chateau
in the French department of Côte d'Or

Location

Equidistant from Paris and Geneva, 3 hours by road from the two metropolises via the A6 and barely 90 minutes via the French TGV train (Gare-de-Montbard). The chateau is in the heart of the Châtillonnais area, on the outskirts of a small village with just a few inhabitants. The local heritage is without equal: Bussy-Rabutin castle, Fontenay Abbey, Buffon-de-Montbard Park and its old castle, Fontaines-en-Duesmois and the Capetian Ducal castle in Villaines-en-Duesmois, all set in game-filled forests.

Description

The property is on the outskirts of the village, between the wash-house and the church, surrounded by grasslands, farmland and forests. Its gates open on to the narrow country lane. A small rivulet running through the property separates the chateau from a small, stone traditional farmhouse.
Set out in an L-shape, the outbuildings facing the chateau include a workshop, a farm shed and stables.
The edifice, built in 1538 for Baron Claude d'Anglure, is considered to be the work of Italian Sébastien Serlio who in 1541 was named architect of Fontainebleau and Surintendant des Bâtiments de la Couronne (Superintendant of the Royal Buildings). He was also responsible for the highly renowned Château d'Ancy-le-Franc. Baron d'Anglure came from a family of knights, one of whose ancestors was taken prisoner along with one of his comrades by Saladin during the third crusade (1189-1193). It is said that, despite having been freed in return for the promise of a ransom, the Baron turned himself back in as a prisoner when he was unable to raise the money. The Ottoman, a great Seigneur, appreciated the gesture and freed both him and his friend. This story is featured in the Anglure family’s coats-of-arms, a quarter of which contains the crescent of Islam. The chateau belonged to the Anglure family up until 1717 when it was transferred through inheritance and by sale to various advisors to the Burgundy Parliament. After the French Revolution, the chateau was turned into a farm and was worked as such until 1962. In the 1950’s, the famous Canon Kir, permanent Mayor of Dijon, whose name was associated with an alcoholic blackcurrant drink, suggested an awe-inspiring project that consisted of dismantling the chateau stone by stone and rebuilding it by the side of a lake which is now named after him. The French Fine Arts Commission opposed the project. Restoration works were, nevertheless, carried out for over forty years, the outstanding fruit of which can be seen today.

The chateau

This large, rectangular building is flanked to the north-east by a round tower called the “Tour Joyeuse” (Joyeuse Tower) after Isabeau de Joyeuse, the second wife of Claude d'Anglure. The property was once surrounded by moats which are now dried up and covered with gravel.
It has two upper floors, including an attic floor which spans the full length of the building. The chateau initially featured two wings, set at right angles, forming a U-shape around the courtyard. Traces of this are still to be seen: a former doorway on the ground floor, an opening on the first floor forming a door that provided access to the wing set at right angles, and dressed stones evoking the joining with the building set at right angles. The facade overlooking the forecourt is decorated with a slightly projecting prominent section. It is still possible to see the slots for the former drawbridge which frame the remains of a bas-relief featuring the coats-of-arms of the Anglure and Joyeuse families, hammered in 1789.
Gun-loops, set between the ground floor windows, dominated the former moats.
The windows on the ground and first floors are surrounded by sculpted leaf and floral motifs. Plain pediments above the top floor roof dormers reinforce the facade’s decorative sobriety.
The north-east facade overlooking the courtyard and the parklands features a series of arcades on the ground floor, where pairs of pilasters with Corinthian capitals flank five doorways set in the embrasure of the arcades. A sixth doorway provides access to the inside of the chateau and its large, main stairway. On the first floor, the six rectangular windows are adorned with garlands and fruit, features which are repeated on the pediments on the second floor roof dormers. The attic roof dormers are enhanced with sculpted bells, taken from the Anglure family’s coats-of-arms. Recesses on the facade must once have been painted as is indicated by the 4th recess from the right which still bears the motto of the master of the premises. French windows were added in the 18th century. Inside, the large windows feature indoor shutters.


Ground floor
The ground floor comprises some impressive rooms such as a large dining room with two monumental fireplaces, an entrance hall that is just as impressive and a large lounge opening on to a kitchen, both featuring plain, unadorned coloured limewash.
These adjoining rooms have dressed stone walls covered with limewash. The fireplaces located in the lounge date from the Renaissance period.
There are wide, diamond-shaped, Burgundy flagstones throughout. All the rooms are vaulted.
The basket-handle vaults in the large dining room have refined sculpted supports. The walls bear traces of a former, 18th century stucco decoration. The doors opening into this room are made of a light-coloured oak wood. Two 18th century fireplaces have been added. The modifications to the decor in this large reception room no doubt date from the same period like the large picture windows on the outer facade. This room was obviously once an Italian-style open gallery.
The kitchen is small with narrower vaults and terracotta floor tiles laid in a chessboard pattern. The back kitchen takes up the ground floor of the “Tour Joyeuse”.

First floor
A corridor running the full length of the chateau provides access to six bedrooms, all of which overlook the inner courtyard. The smallest bedroom is in the “Tour Joyeuse”.
The corridor, like the bedrooms, has coloured terracotta floor tiles. The painted ceilings are supported by corbels sculpted with floral motifs. The walls are limewashed. There are also two bathrooms, one of which is installed in the former entrance to the chapel. Above a mirror, it is possible to see traces of a sculpted pediment representing an angel carrying a cross surrounded by two cherubs, topped with a sculpted flower, amongst their hazy clouds.

Attic
The chestnut wood roofing framework supports a roof of flat, Burgundy tiles - apart from the tower which has a slate roof.

The outbuildings

Built of exposed quarry blocks and laid out in an L-shape, the outbuildings feature dressed stone framing around the windows, doors and the large carriage door. All the buildings have an oak wood roofing framework covered with flat, Burgundy tile roofs.
They comprise a farm shed, a workshop and the former stables.

The traditional farmhouse

The interlocking tile roof on this one-storey building has been fully renovated. It was once the caretaker’s cottage comprising a barn and a stable. The roofing framework has been restored.


Caretaker’s accommodation
Large Burgundy flagstones cover the floor. A fireplace and an old stone sink are the two features remaining inside this traditional farmhouse that possibly dates from the 17th century.
It needs to be fully renovated, although the roofing framework and roof tiles do not require any works to be scheduled.

Barn

The stables

The large Renaissance stairway

Unique in Burgundy, this dressed stone, half-pace construction has a landing on each floor. Vaulted, it has two flights for each floor and is adorned with stucco decoration bas-reliefs featuring figures from Greek mythology and Italian Renaissance motifs, intermingling winged horses, fauns and putti. One section evokes the twelve tasks of Hercules.
The first floor has Hercules posing with the shield belonging to the Queen of the Amazons. Opposite, another Hercules can be seen sitting amongst the Gods of Olympus under the lord of the manor’s motto: De Die in Diem (From Day to Day).

Our opinion

This low-fronted chateau stands tall and is just brimming with history. It above all conceals an inner treasure in the form of its Hercules-decorated stairway, a fascinating work of art with an artistic and aesthetic complexity that subtly contrasts with the original chateau’s effectively plain facades.
The property clearly reflects and bears outstanding witness to the history of France as a result of its exemplary restoration works.

1 280 000 €
Our fees are included in the stated sale price.

Reference 860312

Land registry surface area 3 ha 80 a 19 ca
Main building surface area 672.20 m2
Outbuilding surface area 366 m2

Regional representative
North Burgundy

Céline Berrette       +33 1 42 84 80 85


contact

My favorites

Partager

send to a friend Pinterest twitter Facebook Google Plus

NB: The above information is not only the result of our visit to the property; it is also based on information provided by the current owner. It is by no means comprehensive or strictly accurate especially where surface areas and construction dates are concerned. We cannot, therefore, be held liable for any misrepresentation.


E-carte


Send


En poursuivant votre navigation, vous acceptez l'utilisation de cookies pour vous proposer des services et offres adaptés à vos centres d'intérêts et mesurer la fréquentation de nos services. OK En savoir plus