What is its history ?
Castles have long been built or rebuilt during wars; the castle of the Roche Goyon is no exception to this rule. It was built by Etienne Goyon to defend the duke of Brittany during the War of Succession (1342 – 1364). The Goyons, like all great lords of the time, established strategic alliances that helped to expand their territory and widen their zone of influence. In the 15th century, a powerful alliance was sealed and the old branch of the Goyons distinguished themselves in Normandy whilst continuing to take care of the family birthplace. The castle took the name of the neighbouring village and was named castle of La Latte until it became Fort-La-Latte under the reign of Louis XIV. It was during this time, between 1690 and 1715, that it was transformed into a coastal defence fort. Whether in the service of ducal, royal, revolutionary, imperial, or republican power, Fort-La-Latte was used for military purposes until 1890, when it was decommissioned. It was then passed over to private owners after it was sold by the Domains in 1892. It has belonged to our family since 1931.