Add to favorites
Log in to your personal space
Nestled in the Nivernais countryside where crops and forests compete for the gently moving terrain, the buildings of this former forge make up a kind of hamlet. The centuries have transformed the property's industrial origins into a warm family estate. The recent renovations cleverly enhance the original materials and a certain rusticity which is not without elegance. This contrasts with a more classically inspired decor depending on whether one is in the former forge master's house or in the outbuildings. At the end of a long driveway lined with trees and white curbs, the tiled roofs compliment the bountiful nature where climbing roses, colourful hydrangeas and abundant wisteria add a romantic touch to the ensemble. This is a wonderful setting for enjoying the pleasure of being together.
The domaine de Guichy has been a family property for many generations. It is located just fifteen minutes from La Charité-sur-Loire, a Cluniac site classified in the World Heritage of Humanity. We inherited the property and after five years of work, we now offer several guest rooms in this harmonious setting in the heart of a large flower garden.
It is a property of four hundred hectares including three hundred hectares of forest, one hundred hectares of plains and two fish ponds. The domaine de Guichy consists of several 17th and 18th century buildings in a beautiful, enclosed park with a small stream, an old wash house, a blast furnace, a dovecote and old buildings housing former stables. The use of original materials during the restoration has preserved the property's authenticity: large fireplaces in the kitchens and dining room, terracotta tiles and old-fashioned stones for floors and woodwork.
The Fourneau de Guichy may have existed since the Middle Ages, it is associated with a fief of the same name. Forging work undoubtedly made it possible to use neighbouring woods and ores over the centuries. It seems that the metallurgical establishment took off in the 17th century, anchor pieces were produced for the Navy which saw considerable development under Louis XIV and Louis XV. During the 18th century, the Fourneau de Guichy was provided with a set of buildings, most of which are still visible: the house of the forge master, housing for workers, the barn, the stable, etc. It produced "pig iron", cast iron and soft iron. It was bought by Pierre Babaud of the Chaussade and financier Jacques Masson before the Revolution. Ennobled for a position as secretary to the king in 1743, the count of Maurepas, Babaud de la Chaussade, saw his activity peak between 1744 and 1781. The forge manufactured anchors and metallurgical accessories for the Royal Navy with an almost exclusive supplier status. He remarried with Anne Rose The Count of Nonant Pierrecourt in 1746, she gave birth to Louise Rose Babaud Chaussade who then married Etienne Francois, Count of Berthier de Bizy, musketeer of the king. During the American War of Independence (1775-1783), Pierre Babaud Chaussade saw a risk in decline of business and managed to sell his forges to a financial company in 1780. Guichy was newly developed in the early 19th century under the authority of Berthier de Bizy, he took over the site in 1823 and had it modernised. The estate has since belonged to the same family.
A cosy estate that can enchant and adapt to a family of eight in search of calm and nature or a group of thirty-eight people looking for a friendly environment for a family celebration. The 400 hectares of land embellished with two fish ponds allows for great walks, animal watching and mushroom picking. A fourteen-metre-long swimming pool, ten bicycles, a table tennis table and a petanque ground are also on offer along with the pleasure of nature.
We would particularly recommend the Chèvrerie d'Amandine in Garchy, which raises about sixty alpine goats and transforms all the milk into cheeses and yogurt. The Domaine de la Petite Forge and Serge Dagueneau & filles are great for wine tasting. On request, Frank (a friend of ours) can accompany you on a fishing trip. Last but not least, at La Perle Noire (a truffle producer in Suilly-la-Tour) Évelyne and Patrick will give you a very warm welcome.
3555 € - 4940 € per week
1785 € - 3780 € per week-end
The estate can accommodate up to thirty-eight people in two buildings: the main house and the farmhouse and its granaries. The main house is an 18th century mansion, completely renovated and divided into two parts: the Bellary Forest Wing and Bertranges Forest Wing which are separated by a central staircase, accommodating eight people in each wing. The Bellary Forest wing is composed of a large kitchen-dining room renovated in the 18th century style with a large fireplace equipped for cooking on a wood fire, a gas and an electric Godin range cooker, a stone sink and a wooden farmhouse table that can accommodate ten people. The Bertranges forest wing is composed of an entrance, a large kitchen-dining room renovated in a more modern style and fully equipped with a wooden farmhouse table that can be extended to accommodate up to twenty people. A lounge built around the fireplace is equipped with a sofa bed. A large terrace overlooks the kitchen and living room. The farm cottage can accommodate up to eight people. It consists of a main room with a living room and a dining room with a wood stove and a large farmhouse table for up to fourteen people, a small kitchen overlooking the sea, a swimming pool, a bedroom with a double bed, a bedroom with four single beds and a bathroom with a small bath and toilet. The attics of the farmhouse can accommodate up to twelve people: attic 1 (three beds), attic 2 pool side (three beds), attic 2 farm side (three beds), attic (two beds) equipped with a room with a double bed, a space with a lion foot bath, double washbasin and separate toilets. The annex of the cottage near the pool, available only in the summer, can accommodate three people and consists of a bedroom with two single beds and a bedroom with a single bed. The estate can be rented in full or by house/annex.