mansion houses for sale - paris - near luxembourg gardens

A mansion house, between courtyard and garden, built by one of architect Garnier’s students
in Paris, near Luxembourg Gardens, the Observatory and the Panthéon

Location

In the French capital, where Paris’ 5th and 6th arrondissements meet, near to the Panthéon and Luxembourg Gardens where Marie-de-Médicis had her palace built in the 17th century. A palace which is now occupied by the French Senate.
Right next to Luxembourg Gardens with one of the French capital’s most beautiful fountains, a work that still bears the name of the famous queen of France. In this 25 ha verdant park, dotted with its 106 statues, children feel at home courtesy of its well-known puppet theatre, its donkeys and its roundabouts. Older members of their families can quietly play chess, bridge or tennis there. More sporty types run untiringly round the park.
This mansion house, in a little-used road between the Gardens and the Panthéon, is set back from the busiest streets, just as if it wanted to be discreet and preserve its tranquillity.
Underground lines 4 and 10 as well as numerous bus routes passing nearby make it possible to move easily around the French capital and reach notably the main SNCF train stations. RER train line B goes directly to Roissy-Charles-de-Gaulle airport.

Description

This mansion house was built around 1870 in the garden of a monastery that once took up the district. It was designed and constructed by a former student of Charles-Garnier, architect of Paris’ Opera House, prix-de-Rome in architecture, decorated for the 1889 Universal Exhibition.
This building was then described as a “beautiful property with a courtyard and garden, constructed with four stairways, from dressed stone, quarry stone blocks, iron and wood, topped with a slate roof. Standing over a cellar, a ground floor, a first floor and a second floor with sloping ceilings”. It was already referred to as a mansion house.
It has since had a variety of owners, including a widow who transformed it into 13 flats and a sculptor’s studio so that it could be rented out for a few years. It was then converted back into a single home.
A covered passageway was constructed alongside the garden in 1923 so as to provide access to the neighbouring property from the street.

The residence

This mansion house, with its classical eclecticism, reflects the Louis XV style of private residences. On the road side, the whiteness of the facades, with their extensive sculpted décor, blends with that of the gravel courtyard. On the garden side, it blends discreetly with the shades of green exuded by the lawn and the miscellaneous species of trees in the garden.

The building is constructed in a square around a gravel courtyard. The ground floor, the two upper floors and the basement span a floor surface area of approx. 1,400 m². Its layout, reached via four interior stairways, makes it possible to move easily all around the upper floors as well as to put the living spaces to a variety of uses and even to create self-contained flats.
Each level has advantages rarely found in Paris insomuch as the two main facades benefit from light, tranquillity and an unobstructed view over large wooded gardens adorned with water-filled fountains.
On the garden side, on either side of the prominent central section, three bays widely open to light and the view through their openings. Said prominent central section has a pavilion roof featuring oculi. It is supported on a modillion cornice with corbelling which delineates a triangular fronton and continues straight along the side bays. The central French window is set in an arch. The tympanum is filled with bas-relief decor. A simplified cornice with triglyph and guttae corbelling marks the separation between the smooth rusticated masonry on the ground floor and the first floor where pilasters, with composite capitals, alternate with straight or semi-circular arched French windows, topped by cornices with corbelling. Whilst the ground floor openings are enhanced with grey wooden slatted shutters, upstairs, the stone balustrades and wrought iron railings of the French windows vary this neo-classical style decor.
The window sills on the road side represent a range of uses for ironwork during the Second Empire period, variations inspired by the work of Antoine-Durenne. The railings on the main stairway reflect the neo-Louis XV style.


Ground floor
Redesigned since its construction, the ground floor includes a caretaker’s lodge. Immediately on the left-hand side under the entrance passageway, it comprises a small, 2-roomed staff flat with bathroom and toilet facilities. Straight after, a secondary open-string stairway, with wide steps and a cast iron decorative terminal, is very attractive although modest in comparison to the main stairway. Under the stairway is one of two sets of steps that go down to the basement.
Communicating via the courtyard, in the left-hand central wing, are two offices, with toilets, a cupboard and a shower room.
On the right-hand side of the carriage passageway is a garage. Spanning a floor surface area of almost 35 m², it has a door opening into the courtyard.
In the right-hand wing are the pantry for two kitchens and a staff studio flat with a shower room and toilet. Steps down to the basement run the length of the garage.
The noble section, between the courtyard and the garden spans almost 10 m deep and 18 m wide. The central hall is directly in line with the covered passageway with the main stairway on the side. Black marble inlaid floor decoration, pilasters and moulded cornices constitute the only decor.
The majestic flight of travertine stone stairs immediately highlights this residence’s great standing, drawing the eye up to the first or noble floor. The wrought iron railings feature a decor typical of the 18th century with interwoven, curved motifs, matching those of the window railings.

Two lounges, symmetrically set on either side of the hall, open on to the garden via wide openings. One still features its marbled trompe-l’oeil wall decor.
An anteroom with a fireplace is laid out with the offices in the left wing.

First floor
The first floor can be reached via the two main stairways as well as two back stairways which continue up to the second floor. As on the upper floor, the layout is such that it is possible to go all around the building. The stateliest of the rooms are on this level.
The main stairway, on the garden side, leads to the large landing which faces the state dining room, with its three arched picture windows overlooking the garden. Trompe-l’œil on the walls and ceiling create the atmosphere of a conservatory.
It is followed by a large lounge which looks out over the garden. This features a typically neo-classical style with decorative panels with grotesques and Mediterranean landscapes. Trompe-l’oeil bas-reliefs are on a level with the fanlights. The ceiling features old arcading around an azure blue sky backdrop. The oak wood parquet flooring is laid in a herringbone pattern. Then, in the large library, moulded oak wood panelling and rocaille decor flank a fox hunting scene. Its parquet flooring is also laid in a herringbone pattern. Most of the fireplaces have been preserved.
Towards the rear are private areas forming three intercommunicating flats and as many kitchens, lounges and bedrooms as well as bathrooms and toilets. The three stairways providing access to these areas could make them totally independent. The bedrooms and the lounges look predominantly out over the large private garden of another property or over the residence’s own courtyard or garden. The most pleasant of the bedrooms, spanning a floor surface area of 32 m², has two windows looking out over the wooded garden, its lawn and the fountains.

Second floor
The second floor, once divided into flats, currently comprises 11 bedrooms and numerous water supply points which can be directed to selected destinations.
Although some rooms are crossed by beams forming the roofing framework, making their conversion complicated, others are spacious with views of the garden.

Basement
The basement is of great interest as it comprises rooms devoted to leisure purposes. It can be reached via two different sets of steps. One predominantly leads to various machine rooms such as that producing heat via the CPCU (the Parisian district heating network). The other, more comfortable stairway, leads to a series of high-ceilinged spacious rooms. A large, L-shaped corridor leads to a projection room with a bar as well as three games rooms for table-tennis, billards’ and table-football.
And lastly, three cellars, two of which are devoted to laying down wine. There are also various storage and machine rooms.
An architect has drawn up plans for including a swimming pool with an exercise room and relaxation areas.

The garage

The garage stands on the right-hand side of the entrance passageway, facing the caretaker’s lodge. It is reached via the courtyard. This area, spanning 35 m², has a concrete floor and is naturally illuminated by secured windows overlooking the street. With a little manoeuvring, it is possible to park two cars

The courtyard

The courtyard forms the first area following the porch way. The caretaker’s lodge stands, on the left-hand side, right next to the entrance gates and comprises just two rooms, a kitchen and a shower room.
This square courtyard is like an anteroom to the house with numerous doors providing entrance into the building.
In line with the porch way, the main entrance door to lounges and the garden, is topped with a pediment featuring two figurines with their backs to a scroll. On either side are pilasters with capitals alternating fluting and rusticated masonry.
This courtyard is gravelled.

The garden

The garden, spanning a surface area of more than 600 m², exudes the coolness and absolute tranquillity of pastoral parklands.
Two dressed stone balustrades and their old vases on either side of the entrance door, flank the access to a vast lawn featuring an ornamental pool and its lion-head fountain. In the shade of a pine tree, nestling beneath a maple tree as well as various shrubs, are a stone table and a fountain. Boxwood bushes and wild roses accompany sculpted cupids and a pedestal bench.
A summer kitchen is to be found at the end under a discreet shelter.
The garden is walled and stretches the full width of the residence.

Our opinion

This mansion house was built around 1870 in the garden of a monastery that once took up the district. It was designed and constructed by a former student of Charles-Garnier, architect of Paris’ Opera House, prix-de-Rome in architecture, decorated for the 1889 Universal Exhibition.
This building was then described as a “beautiful property with a courtyard and garden, constructed with four stairways, from dressed stone, quarry stone blocks, iron and wood, topped with a slate roof. Standing over a cellar, a ground floor, a first floor and a second floor with sloping ceilings”. It was already referred to as a mansion house.
It has since had a variety of owners, including a widow who transformed it into 13 flats and a sculptor’s studio so that it could be rented out for a few years. It was then converted back into a single home.
A covered passageway was constructed alongside the garden in 1923 so as to provide access to the neighbouring property from the street.

Exclusive sale

25 000 000 €
Honoraires à la charge du vendeur


Voir le Barème d'Honoraires

Barème d'honoraires
au 1er Avril 2017

Ventes d'immeubles

À Paris et en Ile-de-France
Prix de vente au-delà de 600 000 euros       5% TTC*
Prix de vente de 400 000 à 600 000 euros   6% TTC*
Prix de vente de 200 000 À 400 000 euros   7% TTC*
Prix de vente jusqu'à 200 000 euros             9% TTC*
Honoraires à la charge du Vendeur

En Province
Prix de vente au-delà de 500 000 euros       6% TTC*
Prix de vente jusqu'à 500 000 euros   30 000 Euros TTC* (forfait)
Honoraires à la charge du Vendeur

Expertise

Avis de valeur argumenté : 1 800 Euros TTC*
Expertise à partir de 2 400 Euros TTC*
Les tarifs des expertises sont communiqués sur devis personnalisé établi sur la base d’un taux horaire moyen de 120 Euros TTC*

   

*TTC : TVA incluse au taux de 20 %

Reference 993160

Number of rooms 20
Number of bedrooms + 10
Land registry surface area 1300 m2
Ceiling height3.50
Living space1490.0 m2
Surface 1200.0 m2

Aucune procédure en cours menée sur le fondement des articles 29-1 A et 29-1 de la loi n°65-557 du 10 juillet 1965 et de l’article L.615-6 du CCH

 

 French Energy Performance Diagnosis

Representative

Xavier Fonquernie       +33 1 42 84 80 85


contact

My favorites

Share

send to a friend Pinterest twitter Facebook Google Plus

NB: The above information is not only the result of our visit to the property; it is also based on information provided by the current owner. It is by no means comprehensive or strictly accurate especially where surface areas and construction dates are concerned. We cannot, therefore, be held liable for any misrepresentation.


E-carte

Send


En poursuivant votre navigation, vous acceptez l'utilisation de cookies pour vous proposer des services et offres adaptés à vos centres d'intérêts et mesurer la fréquentation de nos services. OK En savoir plus