5 km from the seaside on the Cotentin peninsula
250 km from Paris, 15 minutes from Cherbourg and the landing stages for cruises or ferries going to England and the SNCF train station with links to Paris.
10 km from Saint-Vaast-La-Hougue and Barfleur, both well-known for their fishing ports and marinas, and just 5 km from long, sandy, peaceful beaches, bathed with clear water.
This property is set in the heart of the Val-de-Saire area.
The houses are concentrated around the 500-year-old market square and the church, the unusual steeple of which can be seen from a great distance.
This chapel stands on a gentle promontory, slightly set back off the main street which runs the full length of the town, behind the old monastery and its monastic buildings.
The 19th century chapel
The floor surface area of the chapel is approx. 650 m², including annex rooms spanning approx. 80 m², with a maximum east-west length of approx. 30 m. Constructed at the same time as the monastery in 1843, it was partially destroyed by fire in 1870. The steeple which was burnt down was not rebuilt. The bell which was in a bell-tower above the monastery is now in the town hall.
The tall facades are built of exposed and rendered quarry blocks as well as dressed stone under a hip roof, predominantly covered with natural slate.
The current chapel, partially rebuilt in 1872, comprises, on its west side, a nave with little columns featuring capitals and supporting a gothic vault, all resting on buttresses. The stained glass in the gothic windows evokes the life of the Virgin Mary. At the end, a stained glass window on the right-hand side represents Saint-Pierre-Fourrier, priest of Mattaincourt in Lorraine, pioneer of the Catholic Reformation and, on the left-hand side, the blessed Alix-Le-Clerc teaching children. An entrance porch way, set at right angles, opens into the nave. Two adjoining storage rooms, illuminated by gothic windows, await restoration.
The north wing was constructed in the same style as the nave in 1887. Adorned with capitals featuring acanthus leaves and stained glass windows, it was used as a choir for nuns before being opened to the public. Its old benches are still in place and are in a good state of repair.
The most recent section is on the east side. It dates from the early 20th century and was built under the supervision of Pierre-Pinsard, a renowned architect specialised in contemporary sacred art. He was responsible for the superb, sober stone altar in the transept crossing and had non-figurative stained glass put in, inspired by the Mont-Saint-Michel refectory. Backing on to this are annex rooms under a roof terrace, with roof illumination, which could be converted into accommodation.
A door opening on to the transept provides access to the confessional, another leads to the sacristy. The remaining furniture is greatly in need of restoration, as are the walls, ceilings and floors of the sacristy and the following rooms looking out on to the street.
The north wing and the sacristy open on to a small garden. It is enclosed by walls formed by the facades of the sacristy and another topped with wrought iron railings including a gate that opens on to the street.
The entire carcass is in a reasonable state of repair. Water leaking through the roof flashing has damaged the ceiling plaster. Renovation works will have to be scheduled.
The elegance and size of the chapel are equal to those of a church. It is big enough to provide its new owners with numerous conversion possibilities whether they wish to create a place to live or to transform it into a day centre: the dynamism and the authenticity of the region of Cherbourg are ideal for such a challenge.
|Land registry surface area||719 m2|
|Main building surface area||650 m2|
Marie Merien +33 1 42 84 80 85
NB: The above information is not only the result of our visit to the property; it is also based on information provided by the current owner. It is by no means comprehensive or strictly accurate especially where surface areas and construction dates are concerned. We cannot, therefore, be held liable for any misrepresentation.