Add to favorites
Log in to your personal space
The half-timberings serve as a reminder that we are in Normandy, bordering the English Channel just a few miles from England in pays d'Auge. But one could easily mistake this property for a cottage in Kent, with low windows looking out over the countryside, checkered fabrics and floral chintz, pastel shades and an Aga stove. Sheltered from the ever-changing weather, the house invites you to sink into the sofa and enjoy a good book by the fireplace. Can we offer you a cup of tea, Miss Marple?
Four years of searching led us to pays d'Auge. The landscape is peaceful, just like the people who live here. This bright and harmonious region enchanted us from the moment we saw it - it is a wonderful place to live.
With half-timberings and an overhung loft supported by a thick carved base, the building is typical of late 16th century architecture. Under the cornice, an emblazoned beam once bore the arms of the owner. The seigniorial chimney adjoins the gable with a rare charcoal hot plate to the left. A beautiful beam extends from the ground floor to the upper floors. The first floor features a second chimney, this time in Rousseau stone (a local sandstone). In addition to the main building, a half-timbered barn and washhouse (which forms a small body of spring water) remain from the former manor.
The last noble occupants of this small manor were the Cavey de La Griffonnière family. In 1822, they owned nearly forty acres of land and three houses in the area - La Grimouillère, Croquemain and our house. Their coat of arms were "silver with three spots of ermine in chief, three roosters in fess and a heart accosted of two roses of gule". Jean-Baptiste Cavey de La Griffonnière took part in the assemblies of the nobility for the election of members of the general assembly in 1789. The origins of the Cavey family lie in Louvières-en-Auge where they held the small seigniory of Fontenil. They allied with the Morel de La Griffonnière family and took the second part of their name. Then they settled in Crouttes, the barony under the Abbey Jumièges from the 9th century.
We offer a sense of tranquillity and all the charms of this region which is bathed in history less than an hour from Trouville. The interior is decorated with regional furniture and objects tracing the history of Normandy. The small library celebrates the work of several Norman authors, Jean de La Varende in particular.
The nearby Montormel memorial commemorates the defeat and encirclement of the German army in August 1944. The region overall, however, has a particular focus on recalling the final hours of the Ancien Régime. Charlotte Corday d'Armont was born in Champeauc, the neighboring village, and her cousins lived in the Château de Moncel nearby. The Chateau Beaumesnil in Chamblac, former home of the writer Jean de La Varende, offers delightful tours. We would recommend stopping in Broglie to appreciate the curious church and carved porches. Traces of Jacques de Lacretelle (authour of the beautiful "Les Hauts Ponts") can be found at the Château d'O, a stunning Renaissance residence. The Romanesque village churches are both discreet and stunning: Norrey-en-Auge, Ouville-la-Bien-Tournée, Moyaux, Notre-Dame-de Guibray in Falaise. There is certainly no shortage of good restaurants in the area: "Orbecquoise" in Orbec, "Renaissance" in Argentan, "la Fine Fourchette" in Falaise, "le Hérisson" and "l'Ardoise" in Vimoutiers. Camembert and Livarot are a stone's throw away and the neighboring farm offers guinea fowl, an excellent aged Calvados, pommel and homemade cider.
490 € - 720 € per week
With a total surface of 160 m2, the house is composed of three floors. There are four bedrooms - one single room on the ground floor, two double rooms on the first floor and a double room on the second floor. All have en suite bathrooms and adjoining toilets. A well-equipped kitchen and a terrace with garden chairs are available to guests.