Add to favorites
Log in to your personal space
A whole house to yourself, surrounded by a beautiful garden where trimmed boxwood trees and bower hedges rustle in the breeze as the bell tower watches over them. The softness of limewashed walls, wood, terra-cotta, tufa stone, green grass, long-stemmed flowers, the warm Angevin air and the sound of the angelus bell all come together in perfect harmony. From here, it has never been easier to chase your dreams of exploring the chateaus of the Loire Valley further south.
We wanted to find a region with beautiful architecture, a mild climate and a well preserved countryside. This is how we came to explore Anjou and eventually the Beaugeois. It is a quiet and unspoilt countryside close to Anger between Loir et Loire, it benefits from the famous "softness" of the Anjou region. But we are also in the Loire Valley with many castles and vineyards, a rich history since the Italian Renaissance, and numerous gardens and parks. The Beaugeois, however, remains intimate and discreet.
The building is typical of the region, it is very simple and most probably dates back to the 17th century. It was completely redesigned in the 18th century, mixing stone from Les Rairies with tufa stone and lime plaster. Tufa is a micaceous or sandy chalk, the fine white grains are extracted from regional quarries and are typically found in the architecture along the banks of the Loire. The stone of the Rairies is more yellow and hard, it comes from quarries near Les Rairies and is mainly used for the lower parts of the frames. The exteriors are coated with lime plaster and sand, the orange colour is typical of the Beaugeois and can be found on the chateaus of Durtal, Baugé and Gastines in Fougeré. The presbytery was originally walled on all four sides, but the garden has been partially modified over the years and it is now enclosed on three sides. Whilst the building has all the characteristics of the 18th century, its origins and some features echo a 17th century construction (roof with two sides, rondelis, chimneys at the ends). Surrounded by two outbuildings, the presbytery is arranged around a courtyard at the front and opens onto an Italian-style garden at the back. The Louis XIV-style quarterturn oak staircase is particularly striking, along with the Louis XV fireplace in the living room adorned with a fresco with Chinese art - as was the fashion at the time with the Compagnie des Indes and a general taste for orientalism.
In 1308, parish priest André Fournier left the "Langotière" estate to the abbey of Chalocé in his will. In the 1730s, the building belonged to René Le Camus, parish priest of the commune, from a family of notable Baugeois. When the Revolution broke out, the presbytery belonged to priest Maurice-Vincent Jubin. Just like all of the church's property, the vicarage was nationalised. The town then sold the vicarage to the same priest, Jubin, along with its outbuildings - namely a bakery, a barn with a winepress, a stable, three pig pens, a courtyard, a well, the garden, and a moat between the vicarage and the priory which no longer exists. Having publicly preached against the Constitution, priest Jubin (who had been in charge since 1785) was reported by the district and took an oath to avoid being arrested. He was reported again in 1799 as a suspect of retraction, he was incarcerated and released after Talot and his former vicar Renou intervened. He returned to his parish and was reinstated at the Concordat in 1801. In 1826, he donated the "presbyteral house" to the commune of Cheviré-Le-Rouge who remained the owner until September 2010.
We invite them to enjoy the soul and comfort of an 18th century country house. Decorated with period furniture and paintings, it is the perfect place for a peaceful holiday. It is also an ideal starting point for exploring the most beautiful places in the west of the Loire Valley. As guests will be renting the whole house, they have the chance to really feel at home. Outside, the Italian-style garden (Tuscan flower pots, lemons, oranges, figs, etc.) provides green spaces for meditation or contemplation in the shade of the village bell tower which is fortified and classified as a historical monument.
We recommend the Bernard Bauge bakery (run by an English woman), the Route du Sel inThoureil, and the mill of the four seasons in La Flèche. Boule de fort is worth a try, a traditional game in the Loire Valley and the borders of this region. The concerts organised in the wonderful Chapel of Montplacé and Baugé Opera in August will delight enthusiasts, not to mention the Art and Chapel exhibitions that are held throughout the summer
1400 € - 1500 € / week
The large living rooms are on the ground floor and the three bedrooms are upstairs.