Add to favorites
Log in to your personal space
Each angle and view of this property's vestiges is like turning a page in the book of the Chateau de Vallery's history and architecture. Some parts showcase the Middle Ages with the remains of the defensive walls and the 14th century chatelet; others focus on the Renaissance with the corner pavilion that was remodelled in the 18th and 19th centuries. Now inspired by the oriental world, the grand splendour of the princes of Condé - who stayed here for nearly two centuries - will enchant visitors who are here to celebrate the lives and special day's of others.
Perhaps it was because the property is surrounded by positive telluric vibrations. It is also because this jewel of the Renaissance was designed by Pierre Lescot, architect of the Louvre, under the reign of five successive kings. A more practical reason is that it is easy to get to from Paris. Fontainebleau, Nemours and Sens are all about thirty minutes away.
Vallery is frequently depicted in the reference book of Androuet du Cerceau: "The most excellent buildings of France". Its architecture of brick and stone dates back to the Renaissance. In addition, the mausoleum of Henri II de Condé, sculpted by Gilles Guérin, remains a model of its kind. The chateau's garden and orchard have been classified as historical monuments since 12 July 1946, while the chateau and its outbuildings have been classified since 4 October 2011.
In 1548, the Marshal of Saint-André, King Henry II's favourite, bought the land of Vallery and contacted Pierre Lescot, architect of the "new Louvre". Saint-André died in combat in 1562. His highly ambitious widow, Marguerite de Lustrac, quickly decided to remarry with Louis I of Bourbon, first prince of Condé and one of the leaders of the Huguenot party. To better seduce him, Marguerite de Lustrac changed religion and offered the chateau and its riches to Louis who accepted them, kept the chateau and did not marry the lady! In 1609, Henry II, third prince of Condé, married Charlotte de Montmorency, daughter of the constable, with the blessing of King Henry IV. Twenty years later, Henry II hosted Louis XIII on the lands of Vallery. The fourth prince of Condé, Louis II of Bourbon (known as "The Great Condé") called the chateau of Vallery home. Heir to the château de Chantilly on his mother's side, he never forget the land of his ancestors and chose Vallery to erect a mausoleum by Gilles Guerin in memory of his father (which is still visible from the high altar of the Vallery church) along with a sculpture and asked to be buried here himself. In 1740, Élisabeth-Alexandrine de Bourbon-Condé gave the property to Jacques Cordier de Launay, lord of La Verrière. His granddaughter, Renee-Pélagie Cordier de Launay de Montreuil, wife of the Marquis de Sade, lived there for a time with her famous husband. The family of Launay sold the chateau in 1821 to General Louis-Marie Levesque of Ferrière, Earl of Empire, Peer of France, and mayor Vallery. He was buried here in 1834.
A romantic and exclusive getaway, and a journey between history and exoticism just one hundred kilometres south of Paris - already in Burgundy -. Our guests have the freedom to organise events that stretch from the day to all hours of the night. They can take a moonlit swim in the heart of the Palmeraie or in the swimming pool sheltered by the medieval ramparts. Seventy rooms are available, including twenty-eight on the estate. The Chateau de Vallery offers getaways and receptions under the starry sky of the Renaissance: a journey through time and space that belongs exclusively to our guests. Intoxicated by the vagabond atmosphere, they will travel from the French Renaissance to the heart of Bali or Marrakech during their stay.
We recommend two gourmet restaurants: "Le Gâtinais" in Saint-Valérien located ten minutes from the chateau and "La Madeleine" in Sens whose market products inspire the chef. For cultural visits, we recommend the church of Vallery, the chateau of Fontainebleau and the cathedral of Sens.
The domain is adapted for daytime and residential seminars. The many lounges can accommodate up to four hundred people. The chateau is equipped with four large historic rooms, twenty-eight bedrooms (two of which are accessible to people with reduced mobility) a heated swimming pool and a tennis court.