Legal Informations & CGU
In the Baixa district of Lisbon.
2 minutes from Praça-do-Comércio waterside plaza.
Near to Castelo-de-São-Jorge (São-Jorge’s Castle), Convento-do-Carmo (Carmo Convent) and the Santa-Justa lift.
Near to Baixa-Chiado and Terreiro-do-Paço underground stations.
In 1755, Lisbon was virtually wiped off the face of the earth by one of the most devastating earthquakes in European history. The Marquis of Pombal, prime minister and the country’s new powerful leader, supervised the reconstruction. Under his management, the Pombaline style came into being, inspired by neo-classicism and directly influenced by the 17th century ideas which were spreading throughout the continent. The Marquis’ own properties underwent extensive renovation works, including this building near to the cathedral and whose facade still proudly features the Carvalho family’s coats-of-arms. This second-floor flat spans more than 200 m². The rooms are outstanding and still provide glimpses of the wooden framework of the famous “gaiola” (Pombaline cage), used to resist earthquakes. The period “azulejos” (painted, tin-glazed ceramic tiles) are of a rare finesse and still line the living room walls. Renovated this year, this flat is air-conditioned and has thermal insulation as well as sound-proofing. It also comprises a fitted kitchen and numerous cupboards. All the rooms are steeped in warm Portuguese light which floods copiously in through their large windows.
Outside, between the Alfama and Chiado hills, the Baixa-Pombalina district and its elegant shopping streets form the Portuguese capital’s historic centre.
1 935 000 €