What is its history ?
The land was acquired by Mr. and Mrs. Pierre Stanislas Baron in 1860, they built the house between 1861 and 1867. At his time it was a single storey building with no outbuildings. The garden was planted with pines and fruit trees. The Mullot family made changes to the building between 1887 and 1904 by adding an additional floor. As for the gardens, they already included a small rockery and greenhouse before 1872. The Mullot family commissioned most of the rockery works, including the most ornamental and elaborate features from 1892 that were signed by Gaspard Gardini. Between 1922 and 1930, Mrs John Kahn (the owner at the time) had decorator David Frères partially revise the interiors. The last significant changes to the building were made between 1950 and 1970, namely the addition of the pool in the garden and a roofed garage. In 1979, the garden was partially renovated by famous landscaper Tobie Loup de Viane (1934-1986) at the request of the new owner, Mr. Roubaud. In 1984, our father (who was passionate about botany) was continually enriching the collection of plants. Over the years, extraordinary collections of Mediterranean, subtropical and exotic plants have been added. The most significant of these collections in the garden today are the stunning variety of trees (olive trees, pines, cypresses of Florence, magnolias ...), the collection of palm trees, the garden of scents, the citrus collection in the open air and the perfectly acclimatised exotic plants with a lovely assortment of succulents. The garden, which has become a veritable plant conservatory in this rocky setting, pays tribute to the masterful work of Gardini. Our father also implemented a program to restore the terraces and rock gardens. We have been continuing our father's work since 2016 by preserving the villa and garden and we now share their history with visitors. Our wish is to make it shine. The property had a string of different names: "Maison Blanche", "La Meunière" (between 1920 and 1930) and "Villa Santa Lucia" after the second world war which was engraved on the gateway that crosses the Napoule.