Add to favorites
Log in to your personal space
Unless in the know, you would never suspect that such a property lies just outside of Lannion. Well hidden behind tall trees and firmly anchored to its Breton land, the chateau appears quite suddenly, surrounded by a carpet of lawns embellished with flower beds. When appreciated together, the buildings form an ensemble that is both impressive and delightful. As one of Trégor's finest jewels, Le Cruguil (which means "mound" in Breton) is awash with the beautiful the colours of the province. Having been passed down by women in the family for generations, the chateau now opens its doors to peaceful stays enveloped in a romantic atmosphere. Guests need only pass through the tunnel of arbours and follow the road that leads to Perros-Guirec to savour the splendours of the Pink Granite Coast and the joys of the seaside.
Le Cruguil has always been in our family. We had to make the decision to take over at the age of 36, which is somewhat young for a place of such importance. "House" is the best word to describe the property as it is where we live ourselves. The choice to take over brought with it a responsibility to maintain and embellish the chateau without losing sight of the family life that lies at its core.
In the 14th century, Le Cruguil was a fairly classic manor-tower with regional architecture: a three-storey stately home of modest size served by a staircase located in a tower at the end of the building. This pre-existing construction from the 14th century, which adjoins a small tower that is even older, certainly stands out amongst the current ensemble. Le Cruguil was extended at the end of the 16th century with a west wing that was much longer than it is today. Extensive restoration work was carried out in 1870. The buildings surrounding the courtyard (a porch, a chapel and some farm buildings) were demolished along with west wing which was in ruins by that time. The south wing was extended to include the current chapel in particular. The park, which was added during this same period, includes a so-called French-style garden surrounded by a large arbour that forms a tunnel of greenery. Both are part of the beautiful ensemble of this romantic park featuring a fountain, a washhouse and a pond.
Little is know about the Cruguil family except that they owned a significant amount of property in the town of Trégastel and land around the manor. Marguerite du Cruguil, who was the last to bear the family name, married Briand II de Lannion in 1350. The latter, Du Guesclin's comrade in arms, was appointed as governor of Montfort-L’Amaury in Ile-de-France and was also the Duke of Brittany's ambassador to the English court. The de Lannion family lived there until 1628, when Pierre de Lannion succeeded his father-in-law René d'Aradon as governor of Vannes and Auray and settled in Morbihan. Le Cruguil was uninhabited by its owners until 1870, but remained in the family nonetheless. The last of the counts of Lannion, Hyacinthe-Gaëtan, died in 1762 in Menorca where he was governor during the island's brief period of French occupation. From the end of the 18th century until the 20th century, Le Cruguil was passed down by women for six generations. The extensive restoration undertaken in 1870 gave the property its current appearance.
We offer our guests the possibility of gathering with family or friends to savour the joys brought by these large houses filled with large spaces and embellished with parks. Guests can also explore the beautiful nature of the Pink Granite Coast, the beaches, and the walks along the coastal paths on the foreshore or inland.
The walking trails in the region and the coastal paths are filled with everchanging lights and colours depending on the tide and the seasons. The banks of the Léguer between Lannion and the sea, and the beautiful road between the castles of Tonquedec and Kergrist. Trégor Coquillages in Landrellec produces mussels and oysters and sells excellent seafood. The fishermen of Perros-Guirec spoil us with fish and scallops when they are in season. Local farmers produce excellent dairy products, of note are the Ferme du Wern in Ploubezre and the Bergerie de Kroaz Min in Lannion. Le Crampouze (Breton crepe) is a food truck set up on Tourony beach which is often set up across from the island and Costaeres castle - it is the perfect spot for a crepe on the beach with a view of a magnificent landscape. The oyster bar of the Toueno oyster farm, the Grand Hôtel du Port in Port-Blanc, the Filets Bleus in Locquemeau, the Ti al Lannec and Lan Kerellec in Trebeurden, and the Belouga in Perros-Guirec are also worth a visit.
The chateau and its many rooms offer a variety of atmospheres for filming and photo shoots. The five-hectare park filled with flowers, an arbour and a pond also offers many possibilities. The part of the chateau open for seasonal rentals, which consists of seven rooms, can accommodate crews. There is also a hotel just one kilometre away.